Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circulator pump placement

Options
Ric_2
Ric_2 Member Posts: 2
Does it matter where I place a new circulator pump? I have an existing large pump on a 1 1/4 pipe going to the return on my boiler. I have a second pump returning below it on a 3/4 pipe. I need to add another pump on a 3/4 pipe for a third zone. Can I have it pipe into the 1 1/4 pipe above the larger pump? If I pipe it in below, can I take it straight into the return at the base of the boiler by adding a tee to where the drain valve is now and just add the drain valve to the end of that? See enclosed picture.

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    Pump placement

Hard to tell from the photo but you should be able to install a tee at the current drain location, assuming the new tee and the return into the boiler are properly sized. Never tie in above an existing circulator with another....each circ should move water directly into the boiler, or better yet, away from the boiler.
  • Ric_2
    Ric_2 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks Al. The other two circulator pumps were installed to flow into the return. Guess they don't subscribe to Dan's pumping away thoughts. I'll see if I can locate the new one to work with the pump away plan. If not, I'll tee it into the drain at the return. Thanks for your reply. Eric
This discussion has been closed.