Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

H1N1(swine-flu),,,

Options
IF any of us get it, are we all dead??

What do you think of the "shots"?

Should we all dress like "astronauts" in daily life this season?

Thoughts.

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    I am not a doctor either.

I do not get regular flue shots, but sometimes I get what seems to be the flu. I have not come close to dying from it. I get some shots, but by no means all. I am not all that sure that in this case, the benefits are worth the risk. But this seems to be a very emotional matter.

It seems that, at least so far, H1N1 flue is no worse than most of the others, and since the demand for the vaccine is so high, it is being offered to health-care professionals, and children first. Older folks (like me, age 71) last since they seem less likely to get it than others.

I would not wear a "space suit" or even bother with one of those face masks (since one of the definitions of a virus is a thing that passes through filters). I would avoid crowded places such as emergency rooms, and wash my hands more frequently than usual.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    Me

I get a flu shot each year. Our company has a nurse come in and give them for free. Haven't had the flu in years. Yes, I'd get an H1N1 shot.

I had a nephew who died from the flu a few years back. It's kind of a rare thing from what I understand.
  • Al Roethlisberger
    Al Roethlisberger Member Posts: 194
    edited October 2009
    Options
    We had it, no big deal....

Our whole family had it, brought home by the 5yr old from Kindergarten, and although it was no fun it was milder than other bouts with the flu we've experienced.  We had the traditional symptoms for 3-4 days, then it slowly cleared up like any cold.

I think the "big deal" is the concentrated ill effects on segments of the population that normally wouldn't be hit that hard.  Other than that H1N1 is considered a relatively mild flu and is no more contagious or dangerous than normal seasonal flu.

The vaccine for H1N1 is produced the same way that the normal seasonal flu vaccine is produced, which has been in practice for many years. 

So if one is OK with the seasonal flu vaccine, then one shouldn't worry about the H1N1 vaccine.

Al

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.