Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

When do you need a new burner or a New Technician?

I manage a facility with a Smith Model 19 six section boiler with a Carlin 201 burner and 1.75gph nozzle.  (1100 square feet EDR with the pickup factor) Every season, we have some sort of problem with the burner.  This season, it worked for a few hours and died and the technician looked at it and will get back to me about the repair.

The system is around 12 years old.  Shouldn't a burner be able to work the season without problem if you do your preventative maintenance?  This boiler was cleaned and tuned on May.  We burn around 4500 gallons of oil a year.  There is a filter at the tank as well as a filter where the oil line connects to the boiler.

Is this problem indicative of poor technical support, i.e. should I find  a new company.  Or is this actually not unusual?

Thanks,

Steve

Boston
Steve from Denver, CO

Comments

• Another tough-call Steve,,,

burners are "funny things" & intermittent problems plaque us all as they are the most difficult. Do you know this guy?,, does he know your system?,,, did he do the cleaning/service in May?

Burner techs can be like auto mechanics,, when we find-one we can TRUST, everyone stays with him,,, but everyone has to start somewhere.

Feel him out,,,, then give him the benifit of any doubt,,,, after-all, the final decision IS YOURS. :-)   
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    What is the problem?

Fuel related?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Ed N.Y.C.
    Ed N.Y.C. Member Posts: 73
    Maybe Both

Steve, The smith 19A 6 section, is rated to fire 3.75 60 p in a Carlin 702 . Unless your boiler is way over sized, your way under fired . ED N.Y.C.
This discussion has been closed.