Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best piping options

Options
Maranello
Maranello Member Posts: 3
I installed a new gas fired boiler in my house in my renovation I have decided to convert my old steam radiators (SUNRAD) to use it in my hot water system, I had no problems tapping and have tested all the radiators with success. It isn't a very big house only about 1000sq ft heating space. the boiler is basically in the center left of the house with 2 bedrooms 1-16 x 9 with a 20 section and 1-16 x 10 23 section, living room 14 x 14 25 section. and a 17 section in the kitchen, along with a short piece of baseboard 5ft long in the entry hallway, the bathroom will be fitted with a towel warmer/radiator. I planned on doing a single zone with a series loop starting with the bedrooms moving to the kitchen, living room, and then bathroom. My total linear foot is about 200ft 3/4 pex and copper. I know this may be a bit long on the loop and I am looking for other options I might have. Also I don't know how this loop will affect my old sunrads if I will get the proper heat I'm looking for. I'm looking to make get the best balance with out making another zone. The floor plan between the living room and kitchen leading to the bedrooms is fairly open. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Well,,, IF your going to change,,,,

for starters,,,, you should NEVER LOOP CI radiation.
  • Maranello
    Options
    then??

What do you think would be another option
  • Alot of "ripping",,,,

remember those Sunrads where chosen not only for "decor" purposes, but also on their btu output for the room. Steam is 240BTU P/sq.ft,,,,, hot-water could be 150BTU P/sq.ft,,,, have you performed an accurate heat/loss of the rooms to see if this difference will even suffice?
  • Maranello
    Options
    fully insulated

the house previously had no insulation and is fully insulated with new windows.
  • Unknown
    edited October 2009
    Options
    with out making another zone

You could run 2-pipe direct return to the boiler and incorporate TRV`s on each rad.

You could also use the home-run method(from basement headers) to each rad & still use TRV`s for independent control.

Assuming its fin-tube, that BB in the hallway may be a problem. Typically they should not be mixed with CI radiation.

There are many options, again if you insist on changing from steam to HW.  
This discussion has been closed.