Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

OK to use clamp-on mechanical T to add main vent, instead of drilling and tapping?

Mike_K
Mike_K Member Posts: 1
When adding a main vent to a 2" main, can I drill a hole and then use a mechanical T that screws or clamps onto the pipe, as opposed to tapping threads into the pipe?  Are the gaskets on these mechanical Ts ok to use with steam?

Comments

• Unknown
    edited October 2009
    If low pressure steam I would,,

drill the 2"(on the top of course), and tap the hole  ½" and not think twice about-it,, your going to have to drill the hole anyway,,, but the BEST way is a welded-on thread-o-let,,,,,, and you already knew that. :-)

"Saddle-type" fittings can come back to haunt you.
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    tapping for a vent

Unless you don't have the room for it, it is just as easy to cut the pipe, thread in a tee and a union and be done with it. Drilling a 1/2" hole and then tapping it with limited over head room can be a lot of work. And it can be very difficult to get the tap going straight. In most cases, with a hand held power threader, we can install a tee and union in 15-20 minutes tops.....not easy work either but a much better job.
  • Peter Turk
    Peter Turk Member Posts: 10
    Gasket probably can't handle steam

I sell mechanical tees (along with a lot other hydronic products) and our max water temp is 230 deg F for our gaskets. If you are using steam then I very much doubt there is a gasket that can handle it.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284
    No.

I assume you're talking about a Victaulic- type fitting. I've been asking them for years and they say it's a no-go. They're not coming up with a suitable gasket in the foreseeable future.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • rich pickering
    rich pickering Member Posts: 277
    It ain't the gasket......

None of their fittings are rated for steam, and they have no plans to get them rated.
  • Peter Turk
    Peter Turk Member Posts: 10
    It is the gasket

Sorry Rich I disagree.   I work for Victaulic.   You are partially correct, none of the fittings are rated for steam but that is because of the temperature limitation on the gasket.   The gaskets only go to 230 deg F, in some cases 250 deg F.   Steam is too hot for the gaskets.   For that reason we have never bothered to put a steam rating on the fittings.   JohnNY is correct in that we do not have a steam gasket or any plans to come out with one yet. 
  • rich pickering
    rich pickering Member Posts: 277
    Can't argue with you Peter,

I got my info from a rep who works for Vic.   But 250 would be more than enough for most of our work.   HINT,HINT.     :)
This discussion has been closed.