Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler for humidification.....

Options
Did you ever have the boss ask you to select something that you know won't work....?

Commercial office building with several air handlers, 150 to 300+ feet from the main boiler room and each of the air handlers. Gas fired is what they want but electric may be used as a last resort. The customer and my boss do not want 4- 5 separate stand alone units (ie - Dri-steem type electric) because of maintenance on all these units. They want a single unit (boiler) piped to manifolds at each air handler. Total load for this system is about 300 #/hr with enough pressure to supply manifolds at the far end of the building. We are just going to dump the condensate, so no return system. I'm going to spec an RO unit to supply the "boiler" clean water. 

<span style="text-decoration:underline;">Here is the question, does anyone make a boiler that will do this?</span> Pure-Humidifier and DriSteem have units but they limit piping length because of low pressure output. Bryan Boiler has a boiler small enough but the rep said it is a real bad application for the boiler (yah, I know it...) and would not recommend it. Remember, no chemicals.

Thanks,

DrPepper

Comments

• Big-Al_2
    Big-Al_2 Member Posts: 263
    Options
    RO No-No

I can't comment on the boiler application, but I do have some experience with RO water.  It tends to be acidic and since it's so ultra-pure, it loves to dissolve anything it can. I don't have a total grasp on the chemistry involved, but it seems much worse than distilled water in that regard. We'll only use it with PVC or stainless steel piping.  Copper or iron won't last long.  I'm not sure what it would do to a cast iron boiler, but it would probably be bad. . Keep that in mind when you do your design.  
This discussion has been closed.