Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

frozen steam radiator nipple

seda
seda Member Posts: 3
Seized NipplesWhat is the easiest way to remove steam seized nipples from a cast iron radiator.do the make a tool go inside the nipple and grab it and turn it???  

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    seized radiator nipple

which nipple are you referring to? if you are trying to change the radiator valve, then the connecting nipple, known as a "spud" needs to be unscrewed with a "spud remover". it is not a job for the faint of heart! why change the valve, as any leaking packing nut, or valve disk obstruction problems can easily be repaired. as these steam valves must never be closed, there should be no reason to remove them, unless  the valve body is actually fractured! if this is on a 1-pipe steam radiator, then any overheating can be handled with a thermostatic air vent. get a copy of "the lost art of steam heating"  in the shop here, for a more detailed explanation as to how they work; as well as other ways to deal with hot-spots. --nbc
  • seda
    now it's a broken valve nipple

thanks for t he reply. that was the nipple i was referring to. it's threads had worn away and couldn't be used any more. i bought the tool and it  bboke the nipple in half. it's now flush with the radiator. i'm F#!K'd aren"T I ??? is there any way to salvage this radiator? would heating this up have made a difference?
  • Big-Al_2
    Big-Al_2 Member Posts: 263
    edited October 2009
    Sawzall

I recently converted a salvaged  hot water radiator to use on my steam system.  I had to remove some stuck cast-iron reducing bushings in the threaded ends.  I was hesitant to use heat for fear I'd crack something.   When I tried to wrench them loose, the hex parts broke right off, leaving a stub much like yours.  Following the advice from people on this board, I  inserted a Sawzall into each opening and carefully cut outward through the stuck pieces in a couple of places.  I tried to stop before I hit the radiator threads, and was mostly successful.  After there were a couple of notches in each offending part, I could chisel them out in pieces.  It was a painstaking and time consuming procedure, but it saved the radiator. 

I did nick the threads on one hole, but since I was putting a new reducing bushing in it anyway, I just used JB-Weld for pipe dope. (If some poor guy tries to get it apart fifty years from now, he's going to have some very ugly things to say about me.)
  • seda
    thank-you

to all those who replied thank-you very much. i don't care what local #638 says about you, you guys are all right! i used a lenox 1/8 fine tooth blade at slow speed in a sawzall. i didn't go all the way stopping just short and followed up with a hammer and punch after two small cuts a 1/4 apart ant knocking that section out.   it was easier than i thought it would be!!!
  • Big-Al_2
    Happy.

I'm glad it worked for you!  I'm just an office guy.  I hope I'm not in trouble with the union . . .
  • Big-Al_2
    Whew!

I'm far from New York, so I'm safely out of their jurisdiction.  I guess they'll just have to put up with me.
This discussion has been closed.