Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bad End Section at Installation

CWS
CWS Member Posts: 17
We were awarded the bid last early this week on a 1.2 million hot water

change out. This is a new customer and we also sold a by pass set up

with cartridge filters to clean out this 50 year old base board system.

This would have led to 7 other building on the site. We finished up

tonight and started to fill the boiler. I could not believe my eyes.

The end section bottom thread was not completely machined. I have

included pics. This was an extremely time sensitive job which would of

led to 10's of thousands of dollars in more work for this customer. The

customer is furious at us and we told them we have to wait until

Monday. I know the warranty does not include damage awards for

incidental or consequential damages but am I wrong for expecting some

type of compensation for work that we will lose this week for

rescheduling this job as well as losing this customer that would have

produced big revs. I will not mention this major MFG by name until I

reach them and try to resolvbe this situation. Anyone know what I can

expect from a major MFG snafu such as this?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    competent local distribution essential

i am sure that you could contact the local mfg's distributor before monday, and get a new  section for  the boiler, if he has a good parts stockage. if not, then try a different distributor for the next project.--nbc
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Compensation

Having been through this before, I'd immediately contact the wholesaler whom you purchased the equipment from and the local rep for the product. Explain your problems and insist that you will be presenting a bill for labor, and expect it to be paid. Write a letter detailing the timeline of events. Make sure you have a paper trail and pics to document.  You may also want to speak to the VP of sales for the manufacturer. Some manufacturers will step up to the plate. Some will not, and claim their warranty does not cover labor.  If they're resistant to paying your expenses, post to the Wall. That usually gets their attention.
  • The Steam Whisperer (Formerly Boilerpro)
    edited October 2009
    I am in the same boat

I have two boilers that have defective threads in the same location.  One is already installed and the other we caught after getting it down into the boiler room.  I am already starting the same procedure with full documentation.  I have the added advantage, however, that the boilers are supposed to be factory pressure tested.   The thread was leaking profusely at only 2psi of water.  Somebody obviously was not testing the assemblies properly.

Quality is incredibly poor right now in the industry it seems.  I have not had a single project in the past year or two which did not have defective components.  Some companies I have come to expect defects, however, there are no alternative manufacturers for many of their controls that I have found yet... I will be earnestly looking.    Others,however, I have never had any defective components in the past, and now am seeing problems for the first time. 

Boilerpro

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• CWS
    CWS Member Posts: 17
    Great info thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I plan on seeing the wholesaler first thing in the am and I am assumning already that they do not have the end section in stock which is going to lead me to insist that the sales rep GET ME ONE! This customer is furious due to the fact that it was imperative that the job be done ASAP. The building is Section 8 with 8 buildings at 50 units each. If the heat is not on they cause an extreme amount of ruccus. I believe I will lose the account which would of included 8 filter bypass cartridge system installations at $1500.00 profit margin each. I wrote the mfg an email on Saturday with no response and my supplier in Chicago has NO EMERGENCY contact info. This whole thing is ****,

If you can keep me posted on how your situation is resolved I would appreciate it. I will do the same.
This discussion has been closed.