Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ok to transplant a burner

Options
russiand
russiand Member Posts: 73
I have a leaking Burnaham V73 with a Becket AFG firing at 1.05 GPH. I am on a bit of a budget and wan to know f I get  a knockdown V8 can I just transplant my existing burner into it. Specs for the V83 show identical firing rate, so even though the burner is not 100% the same (same family though) does anybody see a problem? I know the V8 native burner has a nice noise box around it, but I don't care about the noise.

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Burner

Can be set up with the proper combustion equipment. Before you make a decision I would suggest you give Burnham a call. That boiler may be covered or atleast a portion of it's value under warranty. It is handled a couple of ways. They will send a replacement jacket block but the contractor will have to strip your current boiler of the burner, aquastat and the other essentials and put them on the block. They also offer a rebate on warranty boilers. They would rather see you up-grade to the new V8H or MPO. Speak to them prior to doing anything. The V7 series of boilers had a mass leaking problem. Let me guess, it's leaking 2nd section mid.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • russiand
    russiand Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Good point on combustion test

I found out about V7 fiasco after purchasing the house. This one unfortunately one with a tankless coil,and the leak is between the rear section and the middle one right above the coil. The trouble it is not a crack like the classic failure I think but rather a leak between the sections, I think right where the coil push nipple is around the tankless coil. I drained the boiler and used some JB weld to seal the leak. Seems to be holding temporarily ( or leaking somewhere and steaming off) but obviously not a real fix... Burnham is willing to spring 750 bucks towards a V83 with a tankless (don't want that) or a V83 or Mpo with an Alliance SL indirect. Obviously thats the way to go, but I have to go through a licensed pro to get the rebate. Mpo is obviously the better choise, but means I most likely need a chimney reline, which I am not ready to budget for just yet. Trying to find a cost effective solution here and get through this heating season on a budget.
This discussion has been closed.