Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Series connected radiators - hydronic system efficiency

Tomd514
Tomd514 Member Posts: 1
My old house has 4 hydronic zones where each of the zones are series connected baseboard convectors fed by a Slant Finn Galaxy GG-175 gas fired boiler. Two questions:

1. I am considering adding a kick space heater as part of a kitchen remodel and want to know if monoflow tees are required? We're happy with the heating comfort from the current configuration but will be eliminating an interior partition wall and losing a strip of baseboard as part of the remodeling.

2. Is there a procedure for calculating the efficiency of my system? During the heating system there seems to be excessive ambient heat in the boiler room. A few years back my chimney was lined with 6" stainless steel pipe and the updraft appears to be working.

thanks

Comments

• Unknown
    edited October 2009
    Is there a procedure for calculating the efficiency of my system?

If its a "fixed temperature" now,, why not do a complete room by room heatloss using the present design temp for your area? Then calculate the heat emitted from the room to room BB you now have(at the same design & water temp), then compare that to the output of your boiler(less its eff. rating),,,  that should tell you whether you are oversized or not.

Alot of "pencil-pushing" yes,,, but this is what we ALL go through!  :-)

If it is a fixed temperature output, a mod-con or outdoor reset will most definitely help your efficiency.
This discussion has been closed.