Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Powerplant for Snowmelt

badfish
badfish Member Posts: 4
Hello pros,

I did a snowmelt install recently, fairly large driveway around 3000 sq. ft.  Ran 16 circuits @ 9" centers w/centrally located manifold to keep all loops as close to 250' and under  as possible. Construction is pavers with "FBF" insulation underneath( approx R-11). Heat load calculations call for 350K BTU. We were originally going with a Buderas G-215, we are now exploring the option of a wall mount Tankless, possibly a Takagi TM 50 Mobius. Any thoughts?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,827
    gas guzzlers

is what snowmelt systems are. So why not use the most efficient heating device for the job?

Mod con boilers thrive at low return temperatures, a perfect match for a snowmelt system, while keeping the efficiency high. Since you are heating the great outdoors :)

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    I wouldn't use a thankless water heater...

UNLESS, it is a condensor. I agree with HR, if you are going to do it, go for the highest efficiency you can get. Otherwise, it will get used for one month, and when the gas bill comes, it will get shut off and replaced with a snow blower.

Do it right.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• badfish
    badfish

OK .  Mod con it is. Any favorites for snowmelts ? and why
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,827
    I prefer a stainless steel

HX to aluminum. With an aluminum HX you need special AL glycol which is more $$ and very ph sensitive.

Plenty of good brands out there. I've had great luck with Lochinvar Knghts. Their 399K is about the size you need.

HTP Contender, Triangle Tube Prestige are other that I have used with good results.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mjcromp
    mjcromp Member Posts: 57
    edited October 2009
    I like tankless

But definitely not in this instance!

My choice is a Triangle Tube 399. Works Great easy to plumb and hook up. Price is right there with all the others.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• badfish
    badfish

Thanks for the feedback. I'll reasearch those items
This discussion has been closed.