Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heating problem in older apt.

esso
esso Member Posts: 1
I live in an older apartment building, that still has LARGE radiators in the suites, that are run by large sort of tank in the basement which should contain boiling hot water to heat these radiators. However, I am currently not getting any heat in our suite. All 3 radiators in our suite have a knob (horizontal placement, close to the bottom). I am trying to figure out which way my husband and I need to turn them to ensure that the heat should circulate in our suite. I know the heater in the basement is turned on because every once in awhile a hissing noise is coming out of the radiator.

Can someone please tell me which way to turn the knob to circulate the heat in our radiators?

Any help at this point would be great!

Thanks!

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    opening the valve

generally most valves will be opened by turning the handle counter-clockwise, and of course vise-versa. do you know anyone in the other apartments, and do they get heat?

surely there must be some management office for your apartments, where you could have more information about the heating, and other aspects of the building. if you find that the valve is already open, then there are other problems, which can prevent radiators from heating as well as they once did, and the office would be a good place to start to get information.--nbc
  • We need to establish what type of system.

Hi - From you description it's rather hard to tell whether you have a hot water or a steam system.  How many pipes go to each radiator? Where on the radiator is the "hissing noise" coming from? If you could post a picture of one of the radiators with the inlet piping showing, it would be a big help with determining what type of system you have.

Generally with  a valve (the "knob"), turning it to the left (counter clock wise) loosens (opens) it. Turning the valve handle to the right  (clockwise) tightens (closes) it.  There is a  catch phrase to remember this - "Righty tighty  - Lefty Loosey"

However it maybe that your system's problem isn't related to the "Knob" (valve). That's why it is important to confirm exactly what  type of heating system you have. Knowing that we maybe able to offer more suggestions

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.