Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does this repair cost sound reasonable?

Mr. Norm
Mr. Norm Member Posts: 12
Need to replace the automatic water feed on a small Weil McClain steam boiler, was told "about $800.00 installed".

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't we talking about a simple solenoid operated water valve? If so, isn't the likely point of failure the solenoid coil? Couldn't the coil be replaced?

This seems grossly overpriced to me.

While I won't mess with gas portion of the boiler, I am entirely capable of replacing this critter myself, two plumbing connections and two more for electrical. Can I purchase this part directly? If so, suggestions for a vendor?

Thanx much for your thoughts.

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Rules

One of the rules of this thread is we don't discuss prices. It is impossible to know from the other side of the web the exact nature of what is involved and the logistics.

Personally I have never replaced a solenoid on a feeder. I'd be sure to be back the following month to replace the whole valve due to sediment build up or something else.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Does this price sound reasonable?

As a homeowner, I know how to do some of the required repairs. From long experience, I have learned that I grossly underestimate the time required to do them. This is distinguished from new work. For example, putting the plumbing in for my darkroom, involving 100 soldered connections, a pressure balancing temperature regulating valve, a laundry sink type valve, 3 vacuum breakers, 3 ball valves, 4 unions, and other odds and ends.

It took me about two days.

On the other hand, I thought it would take only a few minutes to change the washer in my hose bib on the outside wall of my house. I even had a large assortment of the sort of washers I would need, so I expected to have one on hand. So how much should that job cost? It was a little over $100. (This was over 10 years ago.) How could that be?

1.) I took the valve apart, but when I touched a screw driver to the bolt that held the washer, the bold disintegrated, leaving the threaded part in the shaft. But I could not just unsolder the valve and put a new one in because

2.) The washer in the shutoff valve inside the house was leaking too, so I decided to replace that as well. But I could not because

3.) The main shutoff to the house, a globe valve, had a bad washer in it as well. So

4.) I called a plumber and had him replace all three valves. He had to shut the house off at the meter by the street.

So actually a fee (mostly labor) of a little over $100 was quite reasonable. But I would not have guessed that when I started. Now the main valve is a 3/4" ball valve that should last longer than that globe valve originally there.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    replacement part

can you call Weil McClain  for the part?

personally i think of the automatic feeder as an overfeeder, which is best left off any boiler, which can be regularly attended. if it were mine i would convert it to use a spring-loaded valve, with a pull-chain, like a beach shower.--nbc
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Pricing

Water feeders or combination feeders and low water cutoffs for steam boilers can be expensive to fix or replace. Usually they're made by McDonnel Miller and their setup is the realm of pros. The price for repairs are not discussed in this forum for many reasons.  You will find a spread in costs from contractor to contractor that may vary by 50-100%. Make sure the contractor who fixes the device has experience in steam boilers.

Do you "blow down" your steam boiler regularly?  If not, get your hands on a copy of Dan's "The Lost Art of Steam Heating". 
  • Mr. Norm
    Mr. Norm Member Posts: 12
    Anybody interested in some work?

I am about a mile south of Evanston on Chicago's northside. If a steam pro would like to discuss performing this repair, please post your contact info.

Thanks much.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Mr Norm

If your still in need of replacing your automatic feeder, shoot me an e-mail. I work for a contractor in Skokie, and we go into Chicago all the time, and we do plenty of steam work.

If you can, please get a brand name and model off the feeder, or at least a couple of pictures, so I can tell what you need.

Just click "Contact this user" under my name.
This discussion has been closed.