Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Caleffi Z-one valve question

Options
I've been using more and more Caleffi parts over the past two years and have really liked it.  I've been looking at their motorized zone valves lately but all of the Bad Honeywell zone valves of the same style have made me a little gun shy.   What has been every-ones experience with the Caleffi Motorized zone valves?  The Last thing I want to be doing is installing a part that will lead to a lot of service calls and unhappy customers in the future.  We replace a lot of Honeywell motorized zone valves and have an up coming job were the home owner wants us to replace all 16 of the Honeywell zone valves with Taco or some other brand because every year they replace one or more Honeywell power-heads because they stick open , the gears strip or the end switch doesn't work.

Just looking for some professional experiences with the Caleffi motorized zone valves.

Thanks,

Nathan

Comments

• Devan
    Devan Member Posts: 138
    Options
    FYI

The Caleffi z-one valves have the US made Syncron motors, I believe the Honeywells do also.

I like the Caleffi's and have been using them now, in lieu of being a circaholic. But I really don't have a long term track record.

The Caleffis have a Cv of 7.5 3/4" swt.
  • ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Nice Valves But...

I have only had my set of five for about a year but I have some comments on them.  I had honeywell before and then the TACO Electronic ones. so I have some basis for comparison.

If you put them on the return (vertical downflow), the labels are upside down and the actuator is counter intuitive. Theres no way to reverse this.

Adjusting the spring inside the valve is not that easy so a quick fix to water hammer can potentially render your valve inoperable unless you are very carefull. (Don;t ask me how I know)

The springs inside have started to rust after one year (very light coating). Not sure if that will be a problem later on.

The feel of the valves from one to another is not the same. There appears to be some strange inconsistancy. For example one valve will be easier to operate than another and one valves spring return will be slower than another. I noticed this before they were sweated in.

Other than that, they seem to be doing the job. They are quiet and have never failed to open or close yet.

This discussion has been closed.