Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Tank

I live in NYC in brownstone converted to a two family.  I have a 75 gal AO Smith water tank now which is about to go.  I am hearing a lot about indirect heat, if and when I replace I would like to go with something that is economical.  Should I purchase another hot water tank or go with indirect hot water.  I have Burham boiler approx 245,000 btu.  Building is 4 stories high not including cellar.  Any info will be appreciated so that I can make a good decision.  thanks

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    domestic hot water

as regards making DHW with your boiler, you need to consult a steam pro, to find out if you have enough capacity for DHW+steam. use the find a professional button above.-nbc
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Indirect vs. separate water heater

Keep in mind that if you go the indirect route, you will have to keep that big Burnham boiler running and hot during the summer even when no heat is required. My feeling would be to replace the water heater and keep it independent of the boiler. There may be more efficient water heater options available, such as an instantaneous tankless heater.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    no you do not need to keep it hot all summer

the boiler will only fire to heat the tank when you use hot water or to maintain temp in the tank. Less than half a degree heat loss per hour on stand by for an indirect water heater. Check the pro list and get a personnel answer by someone like Steamhead a.k.a. Frank.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,497
    Hello: Just curious.

How do you know your tank is about to go?

Yours,  Larry
This discussion has been closed.