Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle Tube Excellence Diverter Noise

Devan
Devan Member Posts: 138
I have an Excellence install about 8 months ago.

Client is concerned about an intermittent, loud, vibrating noise. This started last season , had has started again now that cooler weather is near.

At first I checked fan , rechecked combustion, etc but had narrowed down the noise to the diverter. System is fully purged , so ruled out air.

What is puzzling is that it happens on a space heat call only, maybe after a couple of hours. Even in the middle of night when there is no DHW call, so I can't think of why the diverter valve maybe engaging the stem against the seat of the valve during a call for heat, causing the vibration. Almost as if the gears on the valve is grinding.

I have a TT rep coming by next week, just curious if anyone else has had same experience with these motorized diverter valves.

Comments

• Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Power Robbing thermostat

Hello,

What thermostat is installed on the system?. We hade some issues with the diverter valves when we first installed the Excellences, because of a power robbing thermostat, (New Honeywell Round). You could try installing a battery operated thermostat, and see if the problem goes away. What we did is leave the Honeywell Round in and wired in a RIB relay powered with 24 volts, and used the dry set of contacts to enable the boiler. This may work or not. Good Luck!

Ross
  • mjcromp
    mjcromp Member Posts: 57
    I would try

try  taking off the diverter valve and moving it manually and see if you still get the noise. It is possible the valve is weak. Just a thought.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• mjcromp
    mjcromp Member Posts: 57
    I would try

try  taking off the diverter valve and moving it manually and see if you still get the noise. It is possible the valve is weak. Just a thought.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Devan
    Devan Member Posts: 138
    thanks for the replies

Not sure about the thermostat effecting the valve, but I will look into that.

I had taken the actuator off, its a plunger type, if I push in on the valve I get the noise.
This discussion has been closed.