Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Getting a boiler cleaned...

JV
JV Member Posts: 1
I want to have my steam boiler cleaned.  It runs on gas.  The reason is because there's a ton of rust that comes out when I flush the release valve, and there was some oily film in some water that was sitting in the bottom of a radiator that we removed.  We also never had the system cleaned after the current boiler was installed 5 years ago.

When I called my local plumber to set up a time with him to have this done, he said he doesn't clean boilers, and that he did not have any recommendations for me.  Does anyone have a contractor recommendation for me?  I am in Queens in New York City.  I would use the "find a professional" resource, but is this a task that I need to find a company that specializes in just this?  Do I need to just keep trying different plumbers until I find one that says yes?

Thanks much!!

PS:  The boiler is in a 6-family unit.

Comments

• boiler cleaned...

Fuel end & water end are 2 different things(according to your supplier) :-).

No-one wants a dirty steam system,  so do some homework for a reputable steam man who can perform both tasks,,,, they`re there!
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    clean boiler

first get a copy of dan's books here, and read up on "skimming", and you can learn how to do the cleaning yourself.

a little bit of rusty water coming out, whenever you blow down either the LWCO, or the main boiler drain is not worrysome; unless it  is allowed to stay inside the boiler too long, without being "blown out".-nbc
This discussion has been closed.