Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

quietside boiler

Options
Have anyone ever heard of or installed a Quiteside boiler manufactured by Samsung?  Does anyone have any thoughts on them.  They are a gas fired condesing boiler that are about half the price of the Ultras, GB-142s and Munchlins.

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    I looked at their advertising brochure...

It looks more complex than my Ultra 3, and can do only a 2:1 turndown instead of the 5:1 of the Ultra 3. They also claim they supply 122F to 179F water for heating. This seems a little narrow. When heating a radiant heating slab, it may be desirable to use considerably lower temperatures. My W-M is currently set to provide water from 70F (when it is 70F outdoors) to 120F (when it is 10F outdoors) right out of the boiler-- although it must be stated that I do not know how those settings will workout when it actually is needed to heat the house this winter. These lower temperatures increase the gradient through the heat exchanger, making for more efficient heat transfer from the fire side to the water side.

It also appears that it would be less efficient than the Ultra 3 because in the latter case, the heat exchanger completely surrounds the flame, where in the brochure, the flame is beneath the heat exchangers. They claim 90% where W-M claim 93% to 98% depending on return water temperature.
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Options
    Instantanious water heater

I have used this water heater for domestic purposes only.  I would be hesitant to use it in a radiant application.  I prefer not to use a "water heater" like this due to the governance of flow to maintain set point temperatures. 

JD was right to point out the operating temps.  As far as I know the temp. sensors and control will not allow lower settings, making it useful in fewer radiant applications.

Primary/secondary or hydro separation would have to be used to satisfy the flow requirements on both the system side and source side.  I extra attention should be taken when designing the piping for a radiant install of this unit.
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"
This discussion has been closed.