Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Would like to install a Vaporstat...

Options
RobLC
RobLC Member Posts: 93
We have a Honeywell Pressuretrol and would like to change to a Vaporstat.

Can anyone of the pros or advanced diy'ers recommend a good, reliable Vaporstat and possibly a second choice in case the first is hard to find.

Thank for for your help with this.

RobLC

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    vaporstat selection

if you do a search here for "vaporstat", the numbers will come up in other posts. all of them are made by honeywell.

the main difference is "make on rise", or "break on rise"; and of course the pressure range: either 0-16 oz., or 0-4 psi. i would choose the oz. model for the low pressures these systems thrive on. a good low pressure gauge, on the same pigtail, [gaugestore.com] is handy to fine tune the vaporstat.  a new brass pigtail would save you time later, as it will be easier to keep clean! 

make sure that your main [not radiator ] venting is generous as well, to reduce short-cycling.--nbc
  • RobLC
    RobLC Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Thank you , nbc, for vaporstat info...

I bought a brass pigtail and cut out the black pipe extension that was frozen in the boiler - - replaced it with a brass pipe extension.

I will follow your advice and install a tee to accomodate the low pressure gauge and the vaporstat.

Make on rise, break on rise?  I'll check the previous posts.

Yes, we want the oz. vaporstat.

Have long mains, about 25' each (two.)  Each main has a #1 and a #2 Gorton vent mounted on a 6" riser.  It used to take over an hour to get heat (have 3 floors) and now takes about 20 minutes.  The old vents were tiny little things mounted directly in the main. 

Thank you, again, nbc, for taking the time to answer these questions.

RobLC
This discussion has been closed.