Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol, Cut In / Cut Out Question

RobLC
RobLC Member Posts: 93
After reading Dan H's book I noticed my pressuretrol was set at 4 (differential) on the inside dial.  The technician who services our boiler said it should be higher because we have and old boiler and it needs extra pressure to heat the house.

House is 3 floors, aprrox 3000sf.

I told him what Dan's book said and he shrugged and said I could change it.

The system is fine and we still get heat.

Cut in is at .5 and the inside dial (differential) is set to 1.

My question is: What is the screw on top of the pressuretrol.  It is spring loaded and is there a proper adustment?

I read that you could put a tee and pressure guage coming off the straight pipe the pigtail screws into so you could watch the pressure gauge on cut in and cut out.

Isn't the pigtail filled with water? 

Thank you for any help.,

Comments

• Pressuretrol setting

"Cut in is at .5 and the inside dial (differential) is set to 1."

This is perfect; don't touch it.

Your first paragraph says your differential is set at 4 and in the above paragraph you say it's set at 1.  If it's at 4, drop it down to 1.

Yes, you can install a tee after the pigtail and add a gauge and yes, the pigtail is filled with water so that steam won't damage the pressuretrol.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    pressuretrol setting

for most residential applications, .5 cut-in and 1 on the differential wheel is where you want it set. The screw on top is to adjust the cut-in settting and yes there will be some water in the pigtail but not an issue to remove and add a tee as long as the pigtail is above the water line of the boiler, as it should be. As to the tech who shrugged his shoulders at your suggestion, tell him to buy a copy of Dan's book before he touches another steam system.
    edg2103bergensteamguy
  • RobLC
    Thank you, Al Letellier

Yes, the differential was at 4 - - but now it's at 1.  The little pointer on the Honeywell Pressuretrol is pointing to 1.  It doesn't seem pinpoint accurate because it's a slide wheel, not a click stop.

I've noticed some pros say a vaportstat would be better.  I'm not sure how to pick up the right one.  And what settings in ounces are equivalent to .5 and 1.

Thanks for the confirm on the the gauge on tee above pigtail and waterline.

I finally got a brass pigtail.

There is a little extension pipe, about 3 inches long that goes into the boiler and then the pigtail attaches to it.  It is 1/4 inch black pipe.

Is the extension there to keep the Pressuretrol away from the boiler somewhat?

Could I replace the black extension pipe with a brass or is brass too soft to go directly into the boiler?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

RobLC
  • RobLC
    Thank you, Alan Forbes...

Thanks, Alan for answering my questions.

I meant to put your name in the title.

Yes, the differential was at 4.  The tech who serviced our system the previous year set it like that and I told the new tech about Dan's book and he said I could change it if I wanted to and, well, I did.

Thanks for go ahead on the guage and pressuretrol comeing off the tee.

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

RobLC
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    pressuretrol questions

I would leave the piece of black pipe in the boiler unless you are equipped to remove the threads out of the boiler if it breaks off when you try to remove it. Not an uncommon occurence. Just make sure to check it every year during boiler maintenance. It can plug up. Brass would be better but don't fret it.

A vaporstat can save you money and keep the pressures lower but can be overkill as well. They are not inexpensive and for a small system work great. I usually run them 6-12 oz. of pressure to start and adjust if needed to heat the furthest radiator.

Good luck.
  • what settings in ounces are equivalent to .5 and 1.

1lb. = 16oz.,,,, so of course .5lb. would be 8oz.
  • RobLC
    Thank you, Dave...

Of course, right.

psi = pound per square inch, etc.

Thank you for answering my question.

RobLC
  • RobLC
    Thank you, Al, re: pressuretrol questions...

I'll take a look at the extension pipe for the pigtail and decide if I'll cut it out if that's the only way.

I'll have to look into the price of vaporstat.  Anything that will lower our heating bills is something I always look into.

Thanks again, Al, for answering my questions.

RobLC
This discussion has been closed.