Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

30% tax rebate for solar thermal

Options
JamieP
JamieP Member Posts: 27
In the summary of tax credits it states

<strong>At least half of the energy generated by the “qualifying property”

must come from the sun. Homeowners may only claim spending on the solar

water heating system property, not the entire water heating system of

the household.</strong>

<strong>The credit is not available for expenses for swimming pools or hot tubs.</strong>

<strong>The water must be used in the dwelling.</strong>

<strong>The system must be certified by the Solar Rating and Certification Corporation (SRCC).</strong>

<strong>

</strong>I don't understand the "Homeowners may only claim spending on the solar

water heating system property, not the entire water heating system of

the household." part

Comments

• EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Options
    30% on the solar equipment

As I understand it the Federal Tax Credit is for the collectors, piping, controls and labor.  I do not believe it is applied towards any form of back up heat sources or distribution piping. (in the case of a homeowner putting on an addition, wanting to supply the addition with solar domestic for example and needing new install of water piping)

I, like most other contractors am not completely familiar with the tax code for this new system of credits; none of my customers have had to do their taxes yet.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JamieP
    JamieP Member Posts: 27
    Options
    30% tax rebate

So this would also cover the new solar indirect?
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Options
    Storage?

Do you mean the storage tank?  If so, then yes.  It has to be SRCC certified. 

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    I'm thinking...

that they draw the line on 30% at the auxiliary DHW heater. In some case, THAT could be a BIG chunk of the costs, and they are currently only allowing a $1500.00 rebate on THAT part of the system.

They should allow 40% of an aux. system with a minimum thermal efficiency of 92% at the combuster and 99% at the heat exchanger/storage tank. That would reduce peoples DHW expense by 30%, and that ain't nothing to sneeze at...

In fact, it should be MANDATORY to do major conservation and insulation before applying insolation.

But I don't want to EVEN consider the red tape associated with getting that change through.

Here's what I found on SRCC's acceptable systems.

ME

• Unknown
    edited September 2009
    Options
    30% on what it takes to supply the temp too!

Jamie,

My question to the feds was IF a homeowner installed a thermal solar system, and IF that system REQUIRED a radiant floor heating system to use that water most efficiently, would the entire system be covered under the 30% unlimited fed tax rebate.... and the answer was YES!

So now all we have to do is find someone who wants solar AND radiant AND has the testicular fortitude to put in a 30% rebate on a $100K system!

wheels
This discussion has been closed.