Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Variable speed compressors for GSHP systems.

I have been removed from the industry for a while. Is there anything new and exciting, like Mitsubishi's variable speed compressors coming out onto the market for use with GSHP systems yet?

I had heard rumors that an American manufacturer would be coming out with a 5 ton unit in the near future (last year) with a Mitsu style inverter technology compressor on board.

Anyone?

If it ain't happening yet, I will be forced to make my own 5 stage, 5 ton system using 1 ton compressors. This is for my demonstration project up in yonder hills.

ME
It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.

Comments

• zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    edited September 2009
    yes

My rep mentioned to me that ClimateMaster has an operational water to water w/variable speed compressor prototype being field tested right now.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited September 2009
    WONDERFUL!!

My prayers have been answered by the hydronic gawds.I hope they release it in the near future.Maybe I can talk them into ginuea pigging with me at 8'000 above sea level. :-)Climate Master is who I was thinking of.THAT will certainly reduce the size of the bufferin' tank, if not eliminate it completely.I'm glad the industry is finally listening to its customers.ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    pumping

then all we need to do is show them that pumps come in fractional horsepower and they are quite adequate on the load side of most units, if they would lower the pressure drop and flow requirements a little bit...

nothing like pairing up an alpha with whatever monstrosity they require on the geo load side circuit.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    EVERYTHING in modulation....

There is absolutely no reason in my hydronic mind that why all three sides of a refrigerant system can't be in modulation, and in harmony for that matter.

The load is a variable, so the source (loop field), load (distribution side) and transfer agent (compressor, exchangers etc) should ALSO be variables.

On the loop, speed maintained by delta T (usually a tight one).

On the load side, flow based on either calculated head, or temperature differential, and the compressor based on deviation from a dictated set point temperature using a zero to 10 volt DC signal. Every thing else will fall in place...

But bear in mind, I am NOT an expert in refrigerant operations... Please feel free to correct me where I am wrong.

ME
  • eluv8
    eluv8 Member Posts: 174
    Econar Low flow/pressure drop

Econar makes a nice unit and they seem to have a lower flow and pressure drop requirement. Not sure if its enough to get you where you want though.
This discussion has been closed.