Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Intelligent Circulators

RonV_2
RonV_2 Member Posts: 32
While shopping for a circulator I've learned about the Grundfos Magna and Alpha lines of automatic variable speed circulators.  I like the idea, but find that the Alpha line doesn't have the capacity that I need, while the Magna line is way too expensive (and hard to source too).  Are there any other similar products from other pump makers that are worth looking at?

My operating point is 17.5GPM at 9.3 feet of head loss.

Comments

• Have a look at the Taco OOVDT,

These come in different models(up to OO14) which may just foot your bill.
  • RonV_2
    RonV_2 Member Posts: 32
    Taco idea

Thanks for bringing that model to my attention Dave.  Unfortunately, its not exactly what I'm looking for.  I see that Wilo has a product that might work, called the Stratos, and I learned that the smallest models of Grundfos Magna may soon be available in North America.   There is also an Alpha2 and Alpha+ line that are interesting but still don't fit, but seems those are still only in Europe I think.    I can consider putting two Alphas in parallel and its still quite a lot cheaper than a Magna, but then I'm at the same cost as the Wilo, so maybe thats my best choice.  
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,827
    just looking for VS?

if it is just automatic variable speed control tekmar and others offers controls that will run most any brand and size of circ. as a delta T variable speed function.

Many of the solar controllers also have VS delta T functions.

If you want delta P and high efficiency, then Wilo, Grundfos, and Laing (now an ITT company) are some options currently on the shelves.

ECM circs can use up to 60% less energy doing the same amount of work.

I've not yet seen a delta T, ECM, off the shelf circulator yet??

The EuroPump A,B,C, etc color bar rating, that you see on ECM circ boxes, will be gone by 2013 and only A and better circs will be sold in Europe, so I hear.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.