Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Skimming this weekend

DS88
DS88 Member Posts: 5
<span>

Hi All.

I am planning on skimming my boiler this weekend before the winter season starts to kick in.

I will be attempting to do a horizontal cold skim as recommended in DanH's reading. Before I start my process I have a quick question.

Skimming is a slow process in which we fill the boiler to the top until the water "drips" out of the designated skim tapping.

So when filling the boiler to the top, does that have to be done slow to or can I fill it fast to top, then slow it down when it starts to drip out of the skim tapping?

From the board, I know filling your boiler fast will cause the oil that’s on top of the water to disburse hence makingn the skim pointless.

Can I do one of two things:

1) Fill the water near top today, then let it sit so oil can settle to top, then do a slow fill on Saturday until water drips out of skim port

Or

2) Do I fast fill the water then slow it down as it nears the top then slow it even more when it starts to drop out of skim port?

Any help would be much appreciate. Thank you everyone.</span>

Comments

• skimming methods

i would fill it up to the top today, and then let it drip out tomorrow, or the w/e. if you can pipe the discharge over to a floor drain, it is sooo much easier.

the manufacturer of your boiler may have specific recommendations as to procedure. for instance peerless specifies the use of arm and hammer washing soda, and a little simmering. when i did mine, i added the washing soda, and let it simmer for 20 minutes. then while simmering, i added  makeup water very slowly. finally cut the burner off, and continued adding water for a few hours, all made easier by a temporary connection to the floor drain.-nbc
  • HenryT
    HenryT Member Posts: 128
    results

Hi All. I was able to squeeze some time in to skim, however the results were not what i expected.

The water dripping from skim port to the bucket seems clear and no even oily.

But on the glass tube the water seems dirty

what is happening? do i have dirty water at bottom? as for skimming top oil sediments, since my water is clear, does it mean i no longer need to skim?

thanks all!
  • water clear

maybe it's time to clean the sight glass. a small bottle brush, the same dia. as the tube, will get it all sparkling again.

procedure is:

close gauge cocks

hold onto the glass while loosening the nuts holding the glass and washers with  a small crecent wrench.

undo nuts with fingers WHILE STILL HOLDING TUBE.

tube can now be removed by sliding up, and then back down and clear.

as you should replace the rubber washers, do this while you still have time for a trip th the hardware store, to match them up. a spare glass cut the same length is handy to have around too.--nbc
  • HenryT
    HenryT Member Posts: 128
    Thanks

Thanks NBC.

Regarding my skim, do i need to skim again since the water seems pretty clean and clear. I dont believe i saw a spot of oil sediments on it at all.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.