Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

old adapters?

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
Did they not.. or do they still make threaded brass pipe adapters... that you can then solder  to a 1/2" copper fitting w/o the need to thread the pipe? have an old house to adapt to... ty,kpc

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    CxM adpt

You're looking for a copper x male adapter. They come in every size and can be found at any plumbing supply house.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    It is called...

a Marvel fitting. Typically used for tub spout applications coming out of the wall. Does not have a pipe stop on it, can be slipped over 1/2" copper and soldered in place. Works great for creating a "dip tube" on older cast iron radiators that are tapped for S&R on the same side.

The other option is to take a 1/2" MxC adapter and drill the stop out of it. Be careful when doing this because the copper heats up quick from the drilling friction and will jam itself onto the drill during the process. I find that a step bit chucked into a drill press works best.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Unknown
    edited September 2009
    I think he means,,,

An adapter that can be soldered onto brass IPS pipe, not copper tubing,,,,, similar to a soldering nipple, less the lead pipe. You may have to look into "waterworks" brass fittings Kevin,, municipalities adapt onto that old IPS stuff quite often.
  • kcopp
    Yes it was....

old brass pipe... still works. It is just in a closet. I really do not want to thread 1/2 brass in a closet.... I will keep looking
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    I guess I'm cornfused then...

Sorry for the cornfusion :-)

ME

• Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    tp adapters

can be soldered onto brass but they are expensive
  • kcopp
    OK I will guess...

tp adapters? Not toilet paper. Refrideration?
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    improvise

1/2" pipe I.D. is .622 and 1/2" nominal copper is .625 O.D.. run a 5/8 drill bit in the end of the, clean everything really well and solder the copper in the pipe. If you are really concerned about strength you could use BAg.

• Good idea bob,,,

I see no reason why that would`nt work!
  • It will work fine

If you saw the threaded end off of a 1/2" brass nipple, clean the burrs off with a round file, clean it with a fitting brush and slip it over the 1/2 '' copper and sweat it on, you'll be all set-it works like a charm.
  • PaulR
    PaulR Member Posts: 25
    The Answer

Jones Stephens makes a MIPxSWT bushing.  It sweats on to the end of ½" copper to get you to the MIP thread.

It is a B55-001.

Paul
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Adapter

The adapter that Paul has a pic of look like the same adapters that come supplied w/new Sloan flushometers for urinals and water closets, similar to a cxm adapter
  • That is not what he`s looking for,,,,,

Re-read the previous postings,,,,,,,,,
  • kcopp
    ahh....

that is a great idea... I will give it a shot! TY all...kpc
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    tp adapters

TP= TREADLESS PIPE found in most plumbing stores but the 5/8 drill bit will also work for 1/2''.    
  • Pheloa
    Pheloa Member Posts: 2
    Adapters

To connect brass pipe directly to copper by soldering we used to use what was called a reamed adapter it looked like a standard female adapter but the threads were reamed out to the size of the brass pipe hence the name. They were available in 1/2",3/4", and 1". On larger sizes we sometimes used fitting reducers deepending on the size . Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.