Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Munchkins fault?

Leo_G
Leo_G Member Posts: 89
I don't think so! I feel that these boilers have a bad rap, more from the installation messes then the actual product. I see this quite often around here. Some company (this one was a gas company, no plumbers) decides that changing out a boiler is easy, and hey, maybe we can upsell them to one of them hi efficiency thingys.

Probably because of the Munchkins price point, they seem to be the ones that get put into these situations more often!

check out the S/R into/out of the DHWT. Also, not seen in the photos, there is a black iron coupling used on the tanks pressure relief valve. You know, in a couple years we'll get a service call. Guaranteed no heat loss was ever done, so this boiler is quite oversized, but hey, that's OK, its got that gas peddle type of thingy that lets it drop the amount of gas it is using!

So now, I get to tell the owners that they got ripped off, and they are gonna have to spend a bundle more to get this boiler set up right. Oh yeah, the joys of having a conscience!

I thought that this was a better place to post this then heating hell, as this product, HTP's Munchkin, has been kicked around pretty hard here on the wall, and  just wanted to point out that most of the time, it is not the product, but the install!

Comments

• mars_6
    mars_6 Member Posts: 107
    Not a bad boiler just being out enginered these days

Ya that system is hurting bad. Love the placement of the Air scoop right off of the HX of the boiler, that's great. We don't need no laminar flow for that thing to work do we. Yikes whats a guy to do but tell the HO the truth, you got hosed on the install it needs to be done right. Good luck.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Makes my eyes hurt

I just keep looking at that air scoopand wondering what they were thinking...........then it dawned on me. They weren't thinking at all. I have to say that most of the Munchie problems i have encountered were installation related also. It's not a bad piece of equipment. Just installed a T-50 on a new job this week. Heat load at design was 26K, normal operation range will be about 15-18. There's not too much on the market that will hit that output. Wish I could get a Vitodens that went from 10-50Kbtu.....................
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    If you are going to "think" like they do, ...

... then you should use an air separator like the Taco 4900 series (the small ones). These have no minimum length of pipe on the input, and can work with the water flow in either direction.

They are about 4 1/2 inches wide and nearly 8 inches high, though, so they might not fit in that installation. (I have a 49-125.)

I think the electrical inspector needs his glasses changed. Look at the BX cable going into that red switch box. No strain relief.
  • Leo_G
    Steve,

Yeah, I've used a few of the T-50's. Very nice in the smaller applications. Though it would be nice to see a couple of other brands match this range.
  • Leo_G
    Inspection?

We don't need no stinkin inspection! That would mean a heatloss, and supports, and proper pipe sizing....... and actually knowing what you're doing!

I think this boiler is easily 2X larger then what it should be.

But they did do a nice job with the venting.
This discussion has been closed.