Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pro-press and Glycol

We have had the discussion in the past about pro-press and glycol. Something about green streaking if I remember correctly. I have a very tight re-pipe where the joists are at 10" c-c and full of telephone and cable lines. If the problem is not leaks or if I can get fittings with o-rings that hold back glycol it would be preferred.

Thanks in advance!

Rich Kontny

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Glycol & ProPress

I've had no problems with ProPress fittings and glycol.  Make sure you prep the fitting, per mfg's instructions by reaming the inside and check that the tubing cutter does not leave a 'raised ring' (the cutting wheel is old) which could nick the O-ring. Another trick for the truly obsessive...sand the end with sandcloth after reaming, and wipe the debris off before fitting.
  • scott markle_2
    scott markle_2 Member Posts: 611
    Glycol stains

I'm obsessive, I ream the inside and outside of every cut maybe a little light sanding on dirty pipe and a good wipe with a rag. And still glycol stains at the fittings, Some worse than others.

I'm using a B-100 compact. It doesn't concern me too much, but it's a bit unattractive. The fact that you have not seen any trace of staining does make me curious, why me and not you.

I say skip the glycol unless absolutely necessary.
This discussion has been closed.