Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Skim question

movin2gas
movin2gas Member Posts: 25
I would like to skim my boiler before the heating season starts.  It doesn't seem to have a port near the waterline, there is one at the bottom for draining and one at the top for emergency valve.  Is there any way to skim without having someone come and make a new tapping at the waterline?  It's a 1 year old Burnham Independence.

Thanks!

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    under jacket

Under that jacket on the boiler there will surely be a tapping with a plug for skimming. Contact the manufacturer. The jacket usually has knock-outs where tappings are.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • movin2gas
    movin2gas Member Posts: 25
    Knockouts

Thanks, Tim.  I'm only loosely aware of the terminology here.  Let's say there is one, and I can punch through it (with a hammer? how do you do that?).  Is it something I can thread a standard size value into, or does it require welding or some kind of compound to attach to it?

Thanks
  • better let the pros

Better let the pros get the plug out and set up the fittings for you. Then be taught how to do it safety for next time.
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Skim tap

It should have been installed with the new boiler .Get a steam guy tp removed the plug and add the ball valve . The manufacture instruction will give you the location. 
This discussion has been closed.