Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard mixed w/cast iron rads

Glen_7
Glen_7 Member Posts: 82
I am moving into an older home in October that currently has an older gas fired atmospheric boiler and an older hot water heater. Since I will be replacing these with more efficient units, I thought it would be a good time to look at the entire system before the painters, etc. do their work. Currently the emitters are baseboard throughout. I currently have one pipe steam in my old home and love the cast iron rads in both comfort and appearance.

Here are my questions as I don't know much about h/w heat:

1) Can I mix the existing baseboard and add either cast iron radiators or newer Runtal or Myson style units together. I don't feel the need to rip apart the entire house, but radiators might look nicer in the formal areas instead of the baseboard, which will be fine for the second floor bedrooms, kitchen, etc.

2) Does a mod-con boiler make sense with baseboard emitters. I was under the impression they worked better with high mass. I don't want to go for the extra bucks if it won't yield any improvement over a modern standard boiler or EK System 2000.

I am not sure now how the house is zoned, if that is necessary info.

Thanks.

Glen

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    Not

You can mix radiators and baseboard,just don't do it on the same zone. A condensing boiler will work just fine on most existing BB systems,they're almost all over radiated. BNL did a study on BB and condensing boilers,I can't post as it's a PDF.Email me if you want to see it
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Leo_G
    Leo_G Member Posts: 89
    Runtal

recommends that you put their rads after the convection basboards if on the same loop.

Leo G
This discussion has been closed.