Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gurgling Radiator but it ain't on

Gordon1
Gordon1 Member Posts: 3
I have a gurgling radiator in my daughter's room that is waking her up at night.   The system hasn't been on since May and the noise have only started recently.  The seasons haven't changed much so there haven't been big temperature variations yet.  This is a newer sheet metal radiators compared to the older cast iron ones throughout the rest of the house.  It was probably installed within the last 3 years.

Comments

• mysterious radiator noise

what type of system is this radiator on, and does it make hot-water?

the controls should prevent it from steaming, if it is only making hot water.

during these episodes of gurgling, what is the boiler doing?

is the noise really coming from the radiator, or only heard there?--nbc
  • Gordon1
    More Info

Nick,

Thanks for the reply.  The system is diesel fired hot water, not steam.  It is controlled with a single thermostat for the entire house.  The thermostat has been turned down and powered off the entire time.  I haven't been downstairs to check the boiler but there is no heat coming from the system anywhere, and the noises come only from the one radiator.  There isn't even much of any echo, if any, from the other radiators.  It is just a bit of noise through the walls in the adjacent rooms and only happens once in awhile.  glf
  • Gordon1
    More Info

Nick,

Thanks for the reply.  The system is diesel fired hot water, not steam.  It is controlled with a single thermostat for the entire house.  The thermostat has been turned down and powered off the entire time.  I haven't been downstairs to check the boiler but there is no heat coming from the system anywhere, and the noises come only from the one radiator.  There isn't even much of any echo, if any, from the other radiators.  It is just a bit of noise through the walls in the adjacent rooms and only happens once in awhile.  glf
  • time to visit the boiler

have a look at the boiler when you hear the noise. if it makes domestic hot water as well for the house, it may be firing too hot. i also would suggest turning the boiler on at the thermostat to see whether the noise appears. observation of these systems is the first step in any repair or maintainance.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.