Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for a better water heater than tankless coil

kspring
kspring Member Posts: 1
I purchased a home in the NYC suburbs with a tankless coil water heater system. This works off of my oil boiler which otherwise heats my house with a radiant system. From what I have read this tankless coil is not a very efficient system. My house has three bathrooms, a dishwasher, and a washing machine. I have a gas line readily available next to my boiler. I have been looking into getting a more efficient system for heating my water. I go through about 400 gallons of oil in the summer, when my boiler is used only to heat my water. I have had a few water heating techs come by and give their suggestions. I have been told various things. One idea was to add a tank onto my current system ( this compromised of adding another zone to my boiler and was the most expensive option). Another was to install a tankless gas water heater (about half as expensive as the first option). The third was to install a gas water heater tank (the cheapest option). What system should I go with?

Comments

• TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Navien Tankless

operate at 98% efficientcy and only run when you turn on the water. 15 year warranty it is the epitome of gas water heating. The other option would be one of the new heat pump water heaters or the add on heat pump to an electric water heater.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    The

cost of an indirect water heater is usually less than a tankless instantaneous. I'd go with either of those.If the boiler is getting long in the tooth,how about a mod/con w indirect? Large tax credits and rebates available
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    water heater options

be carefull with tankless if you have 3 bathrooms it may not be enough.

check the GPM @ A 90 DEGREE Tempeture rise. calculating your demand will help you decide 
This discussion has been closed.