Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating Quandrum

Options
try2hard
try2hard Member Posts: 26
Hello everyone. Looking for thoughts on the best solution to our home heating quandrum.

Ranch style home (2500 sq. ft. total) - 1250 sq. ft. main level and 1250 sq. ft. finished basement.

Currently have 96% efficient 2 stage Carrier gas furnace forced air upstairs.

Basement currently has electric baseboard.

For many years in Northeast Ohio, our electric rates were very low, well below the national average. We also had great incentives for all-electric homes ($0.04/kWh). However, the party's over! First Energy just rescheduled the rates and we are now paying roughly $0.09/kWh.

Our current gas rates are very reasonable ($6 - $8/Mcf).

We want to change heating systems in the basement to some gas appliance but with the economy in its current state, budget is very important. I would like to put in a hydronic system for the basement as we have already decided once the furnace goes, its hydronics all the way. I really don't want to put that much into a new system right now.

Would we be best to zone our current Carrier Infinity Forced Air system? (No problem capacity wise after figuring heat loss. Does anyone have experience with Carrier's Infinity Zoning systems? Any ideas on ballpark costs? We would only want two zones, one upstairs and one downstairs. I was hoping it could be accomplished for $1000. Maybe not.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    heating conundrum-owners in a quandry

it seems that your basement is the only part being heated by electricity-is that right?

if so for your $1k, you would get a bigger bang for the buck by minimizing heat loss. recycling the heat from the dryer could be a possibility, instead of blowing it all outside! making sure the thermostat was set right [anticipation,etc.] would be very important.

usually basements are lower heat loss areas than elsewhere in the house.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.