Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Paging Hot Rod

michael_34
michael_34 Member Posts: 304
Hey HR,

I am looking for a spread sheet or anything that would show the percentage difference between different collector tilts during different times of the year and different daily sun exposer. I have a customer that still wants to try and make his system adjustable. Between 50* and 70*. I have tried to tell him and my equal opportunity employer, that there is not enough advantage in BTU's to even try this. If you have some data, I would as always be much appreciated.

How's the studying for Nabcep going?

Michael

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    collector output

here is a graph Solar Skies provided showing output at various angles and times of the year. I think they ran it in RET Screen. Most all of the software simulators allow you to select collector slope. Run the system at low and steep pitch at winter and summer peak days. I'll bet the output difference is less than 10% for manually adjusting.

If it is a large array steep pitch could help with summertime over production if you have no, or small summer loads.

As you recall the Cedar Mt. team installs solar heating arrays fairly steep. they are not concerned with summer loads, but want to optimize winter gains.

My plan for NABCEP study is to focus on Tom Lanes book. I met Tom at the NABCEP meeting in Buffalo. Turns out he was the SME for those tests (subject matter expert) As I recall some of the questions from my first try... Tom addresses most in his book.

Of course the FSEC info, especially on pool collector and pump sizing.

Other questions I remember

Tank capacity formula V= Pi (d2)H divided by 924 memorize this formula

Formula for sawtooth (staggered) mounting. Ttrig formula, they supply a calculator

Lag bolt shear spec

Capacity of ladders! OSHA

Fall protection OSHA

pipe sizing

insulation r-value spec

Many of the questions have several correct answers, they want the best of the selection!?

Challenge, with the supplied form any questions you feel are to vague or weird :)

Good luck
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • michael_34
    Thanks again

THANKS
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    another source for that info

at this NORA site. This shows fixed, adjusted and with 1 and 2 axis trackers.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • michael_34
    osha

So this is from OSHA website on Fall protection:

"Any time a worker is at a height of four feet or more, the worker is at risk and needs to be protected. Fall protection must be provided at four feet in general industry, five feet in maritime and six feet in construction. However, regardless of the fall distance, fall protection must be provided when working over dangerous equipment and machinery."

are we general industry or constuction?

Man,

I've never been good with formulas!

Thanks HR
  • michael_34
    WHERE DID YOU GET THE NORA DOCUMENT.

I don't see it on the site.

Do you have an address.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.