Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

manual defrost refrigerator

Options
got a gallon of water from manually defrosting my old fridge. wondering how many btu i saved when compared to new energy star self defroster. also dont know if new fridge would use defrosted water to assist compressor with cooling efficiency....thanx

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    I had a window air conditioner...

I had a window air conditioner that used the condensate to cool the condenser. The way it worked was that the fan that cooled the condenser was slightly oversized so it dipped into the condensate and threw it onto the condenser. Thus, outdoors the air conditioner put out hot moist air (but never dripped) and inside it put out cool dryer air. I just assumed all air conditioners worked that way, but since most of the units I see drip, I guess they do not.

My old frost-free refrigerator was designed to be as efficient as possible. But it ended up with three motors. One to run the compressor, and one inside to blow the cold air around. Before I got it, the manufacturer noticed high failure rates in the compressor motor. Overheating. So they added a little fan to cool the compressor motor. I do not know if that little fan used up the efficiency that the high efficiency motor saved.

Unless you have bad gaskets on your refrigerator doors,  I would think you would not get enough condensate from defrosting to warrant the complexity of using that condensate to cool the condenser.
  • good fridge

12 cu. ft. 1 exterior door fridge runs @ 1.1/kw/day after defrost in 70* f room temp.

1 condenser motor with heat dissipation grill on outside back of fridge
  • 1200 btu

1 gal water defrosted is insignificant but fridge runs @ 1.1kw/day which is @ par with an energystar unit
This discussion has been closed.