Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for suggestions

Options
CHALLENGER73
CHALLENGER73 Member Posts: 1
I am planning to install a new hot water oil furnace and tank and I am looking for suggestions and recommendations about what is the best available and what is the best all around value.

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    looking for suggestions and recommendations

N.B. I am not a professional heating person.

You did not provide much information. The popular thing to say might be to get a modulating|condensing boiler. But if you have all finned tube baseboard heating units, this might not make sense as you might have to run such high water temperatures that you would get little or no condensation. So anyone who answers would have to know such things as what kind of heating units are used (baseboard, in slab radiant, cast iron radiators, etc), and many other details.

I suggest you seriously consider getting an indirect fired hot water heater for you DHW, no matter what boiler you get.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Need more info

What size, and is this a hot air furnace of a hot water boiler?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Well thats easy

The one with the most qualified installer in your area with a good availibilty of parts, I am thinking you have a boiler not a furnace. As Boilers are hot water and furnaces are warm air. Or you could have a hydronic air system which some areas like. where you have an airhandler with a hot water coil. And in a few posts system 2K will be mentioned. LOL
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • KevinCorr
    KevinCorr Member Posts: 106
    Options
    "hydronic"

ALL boilers are hydronic heating systems.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Really?

I am not sure, but are steam systems considered hydronic? I know we could quibble because both hot water and steam are fluids, but hot water usually needs to be pumped and steam probably never does. So to me they are rather different.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Yes,

HYDRONICS has always been defined as heating with either steam or water. 
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.