Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Econoburn, reviewing new wood boiler...

Options
Empire_2
Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
Good afternoon, I have the oportunity to pick up a new product line from the above mentioned Co.  I was wondering if there are any thoughts on wood boilers in Gen?.  Seems like a great idea to use an alternative fossel fuel, but as you all know wood is not very cheap but can directly compete with current fuels.  Gasification is a new burning process to me, but I understand the concept, claimming an 87% net firing eff.  Any thoughts on THAT???

We are Rural and wood is an abundant form of energy.

Mike T.

Comments

• Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    Good product!

The typical outdoor units are highly inefficient and very dirty burning. (lot's of emissions and particulate). Many localities are banning their use completely. The Econoburn is a different type of unit and is very efficient. I've had good luck with the product and the company is great to work with. Their units qualify for the tax credit being offered by the feds.

As with ANY wood burner, the moisture content of the wood being burned plays a large part in the satisfactory operation of the unit. Properly seasoned wood will have a moisture content of below 25% and preferably less than 20%. That usually means burning it at least a year after it's cut.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Hi Steve?

I can see how the moisture content plays a roll in how thoroughly the wood is burned.  I noticed the induced draft motor on this particular model....Just like fanning a camp fire in a way.  Should raise the temp of the fuel.

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.