Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Carlin 702CRD help

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,692
Hello,

I do mainly residential stuff. I may be adopting an oil Smith 9A-9 section with a Carlin 702CRD. I spoke with tech support and they were very helpful.

As far as spare parts to have on hand, can anyone give me some input as to what I may want to have on hand for the occasional no-heat? It's an apartment complex so I would like to be prepared for the nigh and weekend.

Thanks for any help, Gary
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• Leo_36
    Leo_36 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    What we do

Gary,

What we do is leave a couple spare nozzles on site.  We keep a spare igniter/transformer at the shop.  We service about eighteen big burners, Powerflame, Beckett, and Carlin.  If you have a chance I would recommend going to Carlin's one day class.  I went just before Ruthe's party in July.

Leo
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    A little off topic...

In about 1980, I had a GE burner replaced with a Beckett because parts for the GE were no longer available, and it would leak oil because an automatic shutoff valve just before the nozzle would no longer shut off. The Beckett worked for about 30 years and was still working when I had the almost 60 year-old boiler replaced with a gas one.

The only trouble with the Beckett in the early years was that it ate high voltage transformers. These were about 3" x 3" x 4", if I remember correctly. And every 3 years or so I needed a new one. But after about 3 of those, my service company put in a tiny solid state one that ran about 20 years and was still working when I had the boiler replaced.
  • Leo_36
    Options
    I thought of another thing

Gary,

You may want to check the boiler room, some places keep a motor and pump on site.  I forgot to mention this when I wrote the last post.

JD

This burner can fire up to 13 gal/hour in high fire.  Very different from what you had.

Leo
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Leo

Thanks for the help. These boilers are way over-sized. This 9 section is rated at 10.8 GPH. At another building (same building size) we installed two small 1.7 gallon boilers.

So, with that said, what is the lowest you would try with this boiler? Right now the burner has a 4.5 gal which equates to 7.65 GPH. Like I just mentioned, our installation in the same complex is running 3.4 gallons

Thanks, gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Leo_36
    Options
    Aquastat

Gary,

Is there an aquastat to bring it back to low fire?  Often times this is neglected and defeats the purpose of a two stage burner.  Some guys cheat and lock them into low fire but if the building needs heat or if it also does domestic hot water you want the extra btu's of high fire.

Are you using gas boilers or oil in the building with the two small boilers?

Leo
  • Jkrawic
    Jkrawic Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Smith 19A and Carlin 702

Gary,

According to the Carlin OEM Setup-Guide, (Our bible.....) that combination of the Smith 19A-9 with Carlin 702CRD burner, uses a Hago 6.00 by 60degree P nozzle, with the head position at 1" and air setting at 5/8" 100PSI on low fire and 300PSI on high fire. (Dual pressure regulator on Suntec B2TA pump.) My guess is a spare nozzle, coupling, electrodes, oil filter cartridge and possibly a replacement Carlin 60200 primary control. Hope that helps you.

Downfiring this burner on the Smith 19A is possible but be cautious of approaching condensing temps on the stack gases. (Use an ELECTRONIC analyzer) The 702 burner is used to fire a 6, 7, 8 and 9 section boiler so you are at the upper end of the burner capacity on this boiler. That leaves room (mechanically) to allow some down firing. Good luck and be safe and careful.

Jeff Krawic
  • Ed N.Y.C.
    Ed N.Y.C. Member Posts: 73
    Options
    702 CRD

I service approx. 25  Carlin 702's . The weekest link is the blower wheel,Carlin knows about this and has a kit to replace . It has a fan and new static plate. PITA to install. Next is the pump. the ajustment screw for low fire is under the mod. mtr.Look for it  Must remove rubber cap on solinoid valve. Lots of fun. Last is the coupling, its longer than standard 6" King coupling. So I use the heavy rubber  one with the teeth and metal ends. Hope this helps   ED
  • sdc
    sdc Member Posts: 12
    Options
    damn couplings

As  Ed nyc said, get yourself a rubber( Guardian) coupling with the separate metal ends and make sure the blower wheel has been changed over to the heavy duty one.
This discussion has been closed.