Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stayed with oil heat ( Ron Jr. )

Options
A main pipe runs down their street . But they decided to keep oil as the fuel . We ripped out that huge steel boiler ( sorry for the dark pic ) , removed an old oil tank and relocated the new tank closer to the boiler . We installed a Burnham V84 and 50 gallon stone lined indirect .

Couldn't ask for a better work area . 5 steps down from the garage to a wide open , unfinished basement . This was done by Kenny , Phil , Sal and myself . If you notice the black tees under the circs you can see they're rusty . That's how hot and humid that basement was . Only took 20 mins or so for that to happen .

Comments

• Singh_9
    Singh_9 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    nice looking job

and done in under 6 hours to boot! The four of
    you must have a system and a good working relationship.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    Being a Tune Up Guy

Ron,

Being a tune up guy I always look for ease of service. Is there enough space between the boiler and indirect to open the clean outs?

Leo
  • Unknown
    Options
    Of course Leo

I thought you knew my mantra already .........

Ease of service is the first thought that goes into every one of my installs . Normally we don't get the luxury of this much space . So doing the right thing was not hard at all . We can do better like install it on blocks , and I could have spaced the boiler and heater apart more than the 18 inches or so I did here . But I got it drummed into my head so much about conserving space that sometimes I forget we have more room than normal to work with .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks Singh

Yep , we all work very well together . All 4 of us have been a crew over 10 years now . Me and Kenny have been working together 22 or 23 years . The trick I find is to have everyone gang up on the water piping and knock it out first . Then individually we can do the fluepipe , burner and gang up on the wiring again . Seems like a smooth system .
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 717
    Options
    Ya know Ron,

you could post those pics as "Anonymous" and it's still easy to tell it's your work. I'm always blown away by your installs. Thanks for sharing. But, it's gotta feel weird to be able to work standing up, not bump into each other and actually have some space between you and the walls.

Larry
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Options
    Hey Ron.....

I lightened up the first photo. Now that I can see it it makes me appreciate the after photo more.

Very Nice Work!

Jim
    Jim Bennett
  • gerry gill_2
    gerry gill_2 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    another

mighty fine install! You guys are worth every penny and you deserve to be the highest bidder! well done.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • KevinCorr
    KevinCorr Member Posts: 106
    Options

That looks so strange to see the boiler sit on the floor. We always put them up off the floor here in the north.

Another difference here is nobody would buy a V sectional boiler here. It is all MPO, Buderus, Viessmann or low mass. Those are a thing of the past for residential here.
  • Yow

Not up on a platform . Wrong choice of boiler .........

I know we don't always do things up to everyone's standards . I just had no idea this install would fall so far short of the quality of workmanship compared to " The North " . I do agree about installing it up on blocks . Just ain't my decision .

Kevin , care to share a pic or 2 of a similar 1 day install ? I'm pretty sure I could find at least one thing to compliment you on :) Positive , constructive criticism is a good thing .........

BTW , do you , Kevin , have any hard data proving an MPO , Buderus , Viessmann or low mass will save any amount of oil compared to this setup ? For this high temp application ? Or are we just shooting out personal preference ?

I'll wait with baited breath for those pics , my man .
  • LOL

We adapt very easily to a better work environment :) If I could have an install like this every day , I'd be a very happy man . Thanks alot Larry for kind words . It's good to hear from someone who can appreciate the hard work that can go into these installs .
  • Much better

I didn't even think to use software to lighten it up . The pic is much clearer . Thanks again and for the compliment Jim .
  • Thank you Gerry

It's probably the same around you though . It's way too competitive to be the highest bidder . But we do alright :) Thanks again Gerry .
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    excellent

Long time no post but as always Ron ,you and the crew did another one day wonder.It's always easy to post negative views and pit pick some one elses work but it a hard line to tow to go to a job for the first time with all the materal and equiptment and pull off a one day change out and have it up and running and have every thing set corretly for operation and future service ,as always it's all there air elimator ,pumps on supply and every thing on the straight and level who could ask for more espically as a one day job .Don't let others get under your skin they may have no idea what it takes to work for a company and go cold into a replaement job and pull it off in one day and as for equiptment there's always some ones perferences but when all the parts are properly install is what makes a difference not weather it's not a vi$$e$mann,low mass or mod con .It's the quality of install workmanship that always has more to do with the over all peoper operation of the system .Again great to see your work and as always it's on the straight and level and remenber you pull off daily what other only wish in there dreams they could do or get there workers to do in a day .peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Chris S
    Chris S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    boiler install

Not only a nice clean install, but as a volunteer firefighter- I love to see Sheetrock where it belongs. Not a lot of installs go all the way.
  • KevinCorr
    Options

I don't say it is better to put the boilers up. It is the code here so we have no choice. It Just looks so different.

Another shock was the first time I saw an oil tank inside the house. You would never see that here either.
    These are not my decisions. I am no leader in the way they do thing here. I am just observing how differently things go in different parts of the country.

I am not the one who started the big fad here on Buderus (and the MPO which the guys seem to think is a sort of cheaper copy). Someone really did a good job selling the public on those as well as the Viessmann. I only recently started investigation the Buderus and Viessman because of their huge popularity here. I have never installed a Buderus or Viessmann.

I am the one who brought Energy Kinetics to Alaska. I was never a fan of heavy boilers. I quit dealing EK years ago but stuck with low mass boilers.

The only evidence I have for the effeciency of the German style boilers is that they seem to be the only ones that heating contractors here believe can compete with EK for efficiency. They could be wrong.
  • Kevin

I know you didn't say it was better that the boiler be off the floor . Or that the boilers you mentioned were better than our choice . I just assumed that's what you meant . Sorry about that .

As you know from commenting on another post of mine , I'm a big fan of the EK system . We just started installing them 2 years ago . So I will have very good data that can tell me if they do indeed save as much fuel as they say .

Do you actually do the installs ? Seriously , I'd love to see some pics of the work done in Alaska .
  • Hey Clammy !

It's great to see you posting again ! Yeah , I know what you're saying . No matter what I'll always point out some good things I see in the install pics of other people . Along with asking questions or pointing out other ways to do things that worked out for me . Kenny always says it's nice to be nice , lol .

Thanks alot Clammy . I hope everything is going good with you , my good friend .
  • Thanks Chris

We will hang a 4 by 4 piece above the boiler if it's needed . And if the saleman remembers to add it on the contract . But I've heard it's not code anymore ? As long as the boiler is ASME rated and the flue is 18 inches from combustibles ? I could be wrong .
  • KevinCorr
    Options

Yes, in retrospect, my post did look competitive.
    I will have to look for some pics, then see if it will post.
    I am not saying that my work will look as good as yours!

The problem with many retrofits, esp the cheaper ones is that you often have to leave the old zone valves, old domestic hw set up and so it really detracts from the look of the job.
    This is one new shop install I did recently. The stand was shorter than I wanted but the owner said to go for it anyway.

This is not a typical sysytm because it is radiant floor only in a shop. No domestic water in the building so I had to put the glycol fill/make up barrel there on the right. You can't see the zone valves in the pics. There are only two zones. 1- The buffer tank calls the boiler using the aquastat going from the tank to the floor to heat the tank. The wall thermostat simply starts the circ pump on the floor so that the tank can circ to the floor with the boiler sits cold for hours. That is a Burnham LE but the plan I stole from Energy Kinetics.
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    4x4 sheetrock

We have what I think is a strict code in Mass but if the boiler or furnace has an AFUE tag it doesn't need the sheetrock. If we are retrofitting a new burner into an old clunker not rated it needs either the sheetrock or a sprinkler head over the unit.

Ron I do not see a thermal switch on the ceiling above your boiler (mandatory here). Is it not mandatory there or are my old eyes not seeing it?

Your speed always impresses me, do you ever have any that go over a day?

Leo
  • Thermal switch

That's not required here . The Firomatic valve on the oil line is though . Maybe 2 or 3 jobs a year will go int a 2nd day . The last one was a System 2000 a few weeks ago . 4 zones with a pri-sec setup on one of them . Thanks alot Leo .
  • JackR
    JackR Member Posts: 125
    Options
    Stone Lined Tanks

Good looking job!!!!

I've been using quite a few MPO's over the last year but have not switch to the Stoned Lined Indirects yet, How do you like them?
  • steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185
    Options

I'm assuming you have a spin on filter at the tank that I can't see.

Sure wouldn't make any sense doing a nice job like that and not filtering the fuel properly.
  • I wouldn't assume that , sw

What makes sense to you and makes sense to me is 2 different animals .

Brand new tank filled up with treated oil and a yearly service .........

A spin on is always a good idea , but overkill for this setup . Maybe if we were using a .50 nozzle .
  • steve_29
    Options

That's interesting, I don't think I've ever heard someone say that a spin on filter was over kill, especially with the quality of the fuel we get today.

I always put a spin on to all my new tanks and boilers, doesn't matter what size nozzle, the cost is miniscule compared to the potential problems.

Sorry you don't agree.

• I don't agree

And neither does our service dept . If it was such a huge problem using just regular cartridge filters alone for every account , we would have changed to spin ons long ago .

Of course we have those accounts where the tank is gunked up real good . But wouldn't a spin on clog up faster than a regular cartridge ? A service call is a service call no matter what shuts the boiler down sw .
  • steve_29
    Options

I understand and can accept, that's how you've always done it and won't suggest you change your ways.
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    Must Side With Ron Jr.

We Use The Same Set Up. Only Thing I Like To Do Is Filter It Off The Tank. I Flush The Valve At Every Cleaning. My No Heats Due To Clogged Oil Filters Come Only From Thoses That Never Get A Tune-up.
This discussion has been closed.