Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

you saw it here, folks...

Options
John Mills_4
John Mills_4 Member Posts: 43
No pictures of the plugged coil? <g>

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

What do you do when the condenser on your chiller is soo plugged from lack of routine maintenance that the load on it takes the system to it's max amps?

Yes folks, the plywood is for shade and it is like this 24/7. Kids play just around the corner...all the doors are open in the boiler room with fans on the fuses and equipment as well.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • kpc_75
    kpc_75 Member Posts: 37
    Options
    stupid is...

as stupid does....kpc
  • bill_71
    bill_71 Member Posts: 46
    Options

ahahahahahahahahhahahahahhaha, that there fan cost less then a service call so a penny saved is a penny.....POW!!!!..honey?!?! the power went out, check to make sure the kids are ok.......
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    I sure hope

those panels weren't made by Federal Pacific......

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Options
    Looks familiar.....

My Brother worked at a local amusement park. Very old place (100 years) Also very do it your self.

They had huge electrical disconnects in the basement shop area. Some 5 - 6 feet tall, three phase. In the summer when the park was busy, these were routinely left open with large fans blowing on them.

A few years later, a large portion of the place burned down.
    Luckily, no injuries.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options

I have an air conditioner like that. Or perhaps the word "had" might be more appropriate. It is in an inaccessible location, so it never gets routine maintenance. Now, after only 30 years ;-) it will not work. It requires two guys on extension ladders to get it out of where it is to to routine maintenance. I am just not going to use it anymore.

But let us say I would do maintenance every 25 years and wanted to clean the condenser fins. Would a vacuum cleaner do it? Or a steam cleaner?

Realistically, I would just replace the unit at that age. But how does one clean those things?
  • Solarstar
    Solarstar Member Posts: 82
    Options

Hi Tim I Had sent this onto a friend who would have to deal with such incidents and stupidity nowadays and he replied back to me saying I would really like to know where this is.
    The person that left the door open would be subject to a $250,000 fine if anyone got hurt. Not dead, just hurt. There are better ways to keep something running. At bare minimum he would need caution tape placed 4 feet away as well as Danger Live Voltage 600v/480v signs.He may be at some legal risk if he knows and does nothing about it. I can quote chapter and verse if they like or even call in ESA for an inspection.
  • Timco
    Options

I already have a factory trained rep from Trane setup to de-scale the condenser and that should allow the chiller to run a bit more effortlessly. I will then check amps. If the breaker trips below it's rating, a good friend of mine who is an elect contractor will swap it for me. I did this all the time as a sparky but am not licensed for this. BTW, even though it is 3 phase, it is 120 / 208...Not 480. I already made the disclaimer of how dangerous this is....

Tim
  • Solarstar
    Solarstar Member Posts: 82
    Options

Hi Tim : My Intent was not at all to slam you or your posts as I love them , But maybe to to reconfirm the seriousness of such behaviors regarding electrical safety . Alot of people do not get the second chance, and then they look back and shake there heads at how an accident could have been avoided if Some common sense prevailed. Iv'e seen much worse than this but its the ones you expect the least sometimes that KILL. Thanks for the photo..Paul
  • Timco
    Options

No worries. Just wanted to clarify. I made sure these people know how dangerous open electrical equipment is. Anyone know which NEC code covers keeping electrical gear closed while energized? (besides 110-20)

Tim
  • jon_22
    jon_22 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    electric

Timco check out NFPA 71E good info see if you can find the one with the commentary. Before are econmic problems there was a huge complaince movement underway to to follow this. My copy is in my truck will take a look on Monday to see if there is any info.
    jon

This discussion has been closed.