Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ground Source Heat Pump

Options
Henry Roma
Henry Roma Member Posts: 10
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help on a geo-thermal heat pump we installed. I'm looking for the best way to insulate the pipes,circulators,and valves. After the install was complete. They turned on the air condition and the pipes sweat!!! Not only do the pipes sweat, the valve handles sweat, the circulators sweat. We put armoflex on all of the pipes. Is there any way to stop the sweat? This was our first venture into geo-thermal so we are learning as we go. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Options
    Insulation

Nice looking job! I am not sure how to best insulate the pumps; short of tailoring sheet insulation product for exact fit. I have not tried this but of course have seen it done by the insulators on job sites.

As for the valve handles, my idea would be to remove them and keep near by. They aren't really necessary except for service. Right?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185
    Options

Maybe dehumidifying the room will solve your problem.
  • Henry Roma
    Options

My first thought was to remove the valve handles,but that still leaves the circulators. As far as dehumidifing the room, there are 2 air handlers in the mechanical room, I could cut a supply or two, to help. Thanks for the help guys!
  • mikea23
    mikea23 Member Posts: 224
    Options

42 deg water, The only way is 1 inch thick fiberglass and the circs still drip. They sell preinsulated pumping stations that work OK. With the system already installed not much can be done. Some guys use spray foam on the circs in a box it makes them hard to service and very ugly.

Your friends at Econar should have told you this. Besides the pipes after a few months the circs look 10 years old. I would put a very heavy coat of rust free paint on them. Without fiberglass on everything joints and all the systems don't age well.

nice install good looking system. why 2 buffer tanks? How did you stage the system? Open or closed loops? how about a few more pics

The buffer tanks are there to prevent short cycling of the unit. Rule of thumb is 10 gal per ton but when multiple units are staged you only need that for the first stage. Or that is what i have been told.

• Craig R Bergman
    Craig R Bergman Member Posts: 101
    Options
    First Geo?

Nothing like jumping in feet first!! Nice looking install. The circs are a problem, we have yet to find a good way to stop the sweating...

One note of concern. The stacked Geo's may come back to haunt you if the compressor of the lower unit ever needs to be replaced.

Bergy
  • b young_2
    b young_2 Member Posts: 7
    Options

You can buy insulated pump packs. I see that you are using Econar heat humps. Who are you buying from? If you are in the Midwest, check out Terra Therm in New Richland, Minnesota and inquire about them. Also you should look into their hydronic module. They are expensive but worth every penny. Hope this helps
  • Henry Roma
    Options

Hi Mike, thanks for your knowledge. I agree with the spray on insulation. This customer is all about looks! As far as advice from Econar, The engineer bought all of the products, and designed the system, we installed it. There are 3 oventrop tanks, 1 for domestic HW,thw 2nd and 3rd are for all of the radaint loops and the five air handlers. This is a closed loop system. The aquastat is set to 110 F. The first heat pump will come on and the the second then if after a 30 min call the boiler will run. One heat pump is strictly for hot water production.
  • Henry Roma
    Options

Thanks for the input b young, I will look into the hydronic module next time we do a heat pump install.
This discussion has been closed.