Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heat consultant

isaac
isaac Member Posts: 6
i posted this previously but i would like to know if there is a consultant for this type of job to help me decide if i should do the job i have an old three family house which i currently heat with steam from and old oil furnace appx 85 years old and with a newer burner but it is almost shot. the tank is also shot. i have three gas lines in the house and am considering making three seperate systems the first floor hot water, the second floor leaving it steam and the third floor hot water. i need some advice if this is the right thing to do. i will be removing a financial burden by not havng to pay my tenants heat and will no longer have hear their complaining

Comments

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Isaac,

Click "RESOURCES" under the headline at the top of the page....Then click "Find a Professional"...enter your zip code and you will be directed to the nearest listed person who reads the board in your area.

Good luck. Chris
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Tenant utilities

I have a customer that owns and lives in a property that sounds similar to yours.

About five years ago we did a complete system renovation/remodel. The existing system was baseboard, supplying heat for the entire house (three units). With some major piping and a little wiring, we changed to a three boiler system. The baseboard remained, but each tenant now has control of their heat. The owner has no complaints from the renters and can now charge a truly meter based fee for the heating system.

This all comes at a high initial investment, however, with the proper sizing and equipment selection you should see a payback. I caution you on the re-use of existing boilers and the like. Get a proper assessment of their condition (if you cannot do it yourself), weigh the costs of any upgrades needed or any components that will need replaced along with the projected future maintenance needed by older existing equipment.

Sorry so long...

Peace
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"
This discussion has been closed.