Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I must be Monday! Wall hung toilet has....

Options
....Jim, for the reply.

I sent the photos to my trusty wholesaler, who forwarded them to the Zurn rep. It turns out to be a Z1280 carrier (don't have the paperwork in front of me at the moment, but there is a part number extension indicating it's a copper connector) and the broken part I found today is actually a Zurn part! It does indeed sweat into the 3" tee as I suspected.

The new "copper collar" (I believe is what they called it) is on its way. The fun part will be unsweating the old one!!!! Been awhile since I messed with soldering 3" dwv fittings!!!

Comments

• John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    I have a wall hung toilet....

....that was leaking at the wall carrier connection. When we pulled the toilet, this is what we found (see attached pics).

The drain line is 3" copper. There is a 3" tee RIGHT AT the concrete floor level, and the toilet flange appears to be soldered right into the tee. I've never seen one like this before. Has anyone??? It's a Zurn carrier. Does anyone know if the flange piece is replaceable???

TIA

Starch
  • Jim Walls_5
    Jim Walls_5 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Zurn

John

This appears to be either a Zurn 1283 or 1285 wood stud supported carrier. If memory serves, I did install one of these several years ago. They are supplied with a plastic pipe flange,but this piece is not intregal to the carrier. From your description it appears a bronze flange was substituted & installed into the 3" copper tee.
    In other words the flange was not supplied with the carrier, but works fine for this type as opposed to the other carriers that have cast iron barrells, face plates & plastic couplings. www.zurn.com
    I hope this helps.

Jim
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    FLANGE REMOVAL

TWO TORCHES MIGHT BE HELPFUL TO UNSOLDER THE JOINT, & REMOVE WITHOUT WRECKING THE TEE.
  • rjbphd_8
    rjbphd_8 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    same as steam

Same as stem system, copper pipings do not belong on drain system
  • Where did you get that Ray?

There is ca-jillions of miles of copper DWV piping, and the same number of fittings out there.

Dave
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    real pipe vs. GARBAGE

after a year or so its like impossible to work on without scrapping half the system. give me cast iron & i'm a happy man. the rest especially that plastic junk is all garbage. i can't be bothered working with garbage.
  • Jim Walls_5
    Jim Walls_5 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Zurn

Your welcome John

& I appreciate the info,,, good to know,,,I looked for a suffix & or prefix to the part number before I responded yesterday & I just checked again & cannot find it,,,,,,so I hope I did not mislead you or cause you to search in the wrong direction to long

Jim
This discussion has been closed.