Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

insulation?

John Abbott
John Abbott Member Posts: 358
Alan please see my Help post of today it gives a bit more info on the problem.Ypur insight would be appreciated.

John

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=577&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 358
    Air space?

insulation beneath floor with radiant heat

Responses:
    insulation under floor with radiant heat Lance Macey 08/01/09

Post new message in this topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: August 01, 2009 03:06 PM
    Author: Lance Macey
    Subject: insullation under floor with radiant heat

I have true radiant heat installed beneath my 4 inch width white oak floor. The system consists of plates nailed directly to the subfloor with the pex tubing snapped into the plates. My heating contractor's goal is to run as low a temperature water throught the system as possible to heat the floor and not cause cupping and crowning that can result from over heating and drying out the wood. The basement environment is an unheated (New England cold) crawl space. The question is: with icynene foam insulation in place, am I better off with the spaces between the floor joists being completely filled so that the foam is in direct contact with the radiant tubes and plates OR is it more effecient to have a 2 inch air space between the radiant system and the foam insulation? No one seems to be able to answer this question with a good thermodynamic explanation. Does it depend upon the heat absorption characteristics of the foam? Is one way better than the other? Thank you for your help

• With plates,

heating is done by conduction and the entire joist bay should be filled with insulation. Without plates, heating is done by convection and you need an air space, i.e the top 2-3 inches of the joist bay should not be insulated.
This discussion has been closed.