Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mini-splits

Jack
Jack Member Posts: 1,048
I've been thinking about posting this for a while and with the other current mini-split thread on the topic, I've decided to put this out there.

If you are in the trades, specifically the heating trade and not doing A/C work then you are dangerously exposed, in my opinion. I have had a look at some of the technology beyond the tremendous equipment we are selling today. In the next couple years you are going to see waves of hydronic heat pumps that will do low temp heating like radiant and hydro air. I am not talking water source. You will see air to water HP's producing the cop's of todays water source units. This equipment can be a game changer.

If you aren't refrigerant certified you need to get back to school TODAY to become certified. Get ahead of this technology! Don't play catch-up!

Comments

• Thanks for the warning Jack,

and I AM in the hydronics trade & certified.
    But I do NOTHING with refrigerants, I leave that to a "certified refrigerant contractor" on a sub basis, so how can this affect me?

Dave
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,048
    You can continue

to do business as you please, of course. A/C work is typically ducted, with the exception of the mini-splits. Having a sub for this is fine. However, what happens when compressor bearing equipment becomes a primary hydronic option. You can continue to invite the sub into your business or you can become certified/licensed in this catagory and control your business. Who will get the call for service on that equipment.

This change in the market isn't going to happen overnight, but it is worth thinking about. It is going to happen.

What I tell kids is that life is like a funnel. The goal is to stay up in the top of the funnel where the options and opportunity is greatest for as long as you can. Education, training and knowledge is what keeps you up there. A lack of skills moves you further down the funnel.

Me, I'm getting near the tight spot just from a time standpoint. Don't join me! Stay up top!
This discussion has been closed.