Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 circs for a primary loop ?

on the Burnham Alpine . Looks like a real sweet boiler . I found out that the smallest circ that can be used on the primary loop ( on the smallest boiler ) is a Taco 0010 or equivalent . The larger ones require a 0014 or equivalent .

Thinking about the stock on our servicemen's trucks , is it feasible to use 2 smaller circs on this loop ? Over here , the 007 is king :)

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    NO!

7 plus 7 does not equal 14 in this case. The smallest boiler is the only boiler that takes a 007. I would put a Grundfos UPS15-58 and a UPS26-99 pn my trks and forget about it. With these 2 circs on the trk you have a circ for just about any application.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• The smallest boiler ?

Do you mean the smallest Alpine ? It does indeed require a 0010 . The other sizes we will typically use would require a 0014 . I brought this up in the class and the instructor said it could be done . But we didn't go into details . Other than " 7 plus 7 does not equal 14 " , can YOU go into more detail why 2 smaller , but properly sized circs ( that our servicemen might carry on their trucks ) would not do the job as well as one bigger circ ( that they definitely won't have ) ? Grundfos is not used by my company .

Thanks in advance Chris
  • Ron,

if you use 2 circs in series, the result will be double the head, but the flow-rate will be the same.

If you use 2 circs in parallel the result will be the same head, but double the flow-rate.

Dave
  • Bill Kamm
    Bill Kamm Member Posts: 1
    Exactly right

And if you try the series set up use flanges and not the pump bodies bolted together. The bolts can slip out.
  • Good info

Thanks Dave and Bill . Pump sizing is unheard of over here . We're in for a rude awakening with pump critical boilers that'll be more common to see soon . Time to get up to speed on sizing .
  • scott markle_2
    scott markle_2 Member Posts: 611

What about all the electricity required to run these big primary pumps?

I'm not interested in boilers that require high primary flow/head for stable operation. This is a parasitic loss that can be avoided by better HX designs, (available from other manufacturers).

I'd like to see more boilers with low head requirements, not more of these wasteful high head designs.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,827
    150- 180W

power consumption on that size range high head circs, required on "tight" hx boilers.

Keeping in mind that circ, at that point on it's curve is running 20% or less electrical efficiency.

Maybe all high pressure drop boilers should ship with ECM circs. Sort of a Electricity Guzzler tax.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    150- 180W

A Taco 007 is 1/25 h.p. 0.71 Amps. About 83 watts.

A Taco 0010 is 1/8 h.p. 1.10 Amps. About 129 watts.

A Taco 0014 is 1/8 h.p. 1.55 Amps. About 181 watts.

I am not sure how they figure 1.10 Amps and 1.55 Amps are both 1/8 horsepower.

My Ultra-3 uses all 007 and 007-IFC circulators.
This discussion has been closed.