Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recomendation on ODR and suggestionn

Jean-David Beyer
Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
"Is there much difference in fuel savings between the direct and indirect water heater"

I cannot answer the rest of your questions. For this one, though, there can be quite a difference. It depends on your boiler.

The heat exchangers in boilers are usually much more efficient than those in gas water heaters (and probably oil ones as well), so an indirect should be more efficient.

BUT. In your situation, it seems to me there would be complications. Your boiler holds 12 gallons or so (depends on which one you have), so it probably takes time to change the water temperature in the boiler.

For mine, that holds only a bit more than 1/2 gallon, I can run the indirect at 180F to 190F, the radiant floor at 120F and the baseboard at 140F (I have a lot of baseboard compared to the heat loss in those small rooms). And when the DHW heater calls for heat (at priority 1), it recovers in a little over 5 minutes.

But if you have outdoor reset and are running at 130F on a warm day, it would take too long to recover the hot water heater until the boiler got a lot hotter. And you would need a priority scheme if you had radiant heat to keep the 180F water out of the slab.

Comments

• Tony_55
    Tony_55 Member Posts: 8
    Recomendation for ODR and suggestions to improve efficiency

Due to a disaster had to get a new boiler installed - They installed a Peerless WBV 3 section boiler with a coil with a mixing valve. Now my question is I know some time may be sooner I may have to put a water storage tank. What is the recomendation - a direct or an indirect and which make. Also can I put an Outdoor reset control in the present configuration (i.e., without a storage tank ) and will it help and if so which brand is the best and economical too. Presently I have an Honeywell controll panel and a beckett burner. Any suggestions welcome. Is there much difference in fuel savings between the direct and indirect water heater/storage - aqua booster. Just wanted to add that the house is a split colonian with 3 zones
This discussion has been closed.