Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Victaulic for steam?

Options
Years back, Groovelok made a gasket for low pressure steam. It was exparimental. We did a small church steam main replacement with it. It was 5" 0r 6" pipe, mostly in a crawl space. Worked out beautiful, saved us a lot of labor. Saved the church a lot of money. Never had a problem with it. Groovelok used to call us and ask about it every so often. They discontinued the gaskets and will not allow their product on steam. I have never heard of Victaulic allowing it.

My suggestion is A; Weld it.... B; screw it. I would not use it if they wont specifically allow it.

Comments

• Harvey_2
    Harvey_2 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Yes or No

3" residential steam one pipe. Can you use a Victaulic fitting on this? Old posts on The Wall said yes. Vicaulic says no. What say the experts? Thanks for your help
  • Kevin Jahn
    Kevin Jahn Member Posts: 18
    Options
    vic

If Vic says no then it is NO. Unless YOU want the liability for the product.
  • KevinCorr
    KevinCorr Member Posts: 106
    Options

I have never seen vic on steam period.
    I have seen a lot of steam in 35 yrs as a fitter.
  • Harvey_2
    Harvey_2 Member Posts: 27
    Options

I guess the answer is NO. Thanks for your input.
  • rich pickering
    rich pickering Member Posts: 277
    Options

Talked to a rep about this 4 hours ago. They have gaskets that are rated for the temp, but not specifically for steam. The bigger issue is that none of the clamps or fittings have been rated for steam. Up here, my inspectors get cranky if I use fittings that ain't rated for the intended use.
This discussion has been closed.