Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler recomendation - Peerless, Buderus or weil Mcclain or some

Nron_13
Nron_13 Member Posts: 164
look the the buderus thermstream Cast iron boilers or the vissmann Vitola boilers they are large CI boilers but keep the firing rate down by holding the extra heat inside the HX with no boiler min return , take this opertunity to change the system that can work on lower water temprature

Comments

• Tony_55
    Tony_55 Member Posts: 8
    Recomendation of boiler install, Peerless, Weil Mcclain Buderus

Hi, Had a flood in the basement due to the release of the T & P on the water heater a therma flow everhot 40 gall and we were away so there was standing water in the basement of about 3 feet. Now the boiler wont work. Recomendations are either to rebuild the boiler and change all the controls or put in a new one. To change the controls would cost me just about half of the cost of a new one. So still contemplating. The present biler is a H B Smith 5 coil circa 1983 boiler with a therma flow ever hot storage tank 40 gallon. The new one recomendation are peerless with 5 gallon coil - no storage tank, weil mc clain 3 stage with storage tank or Buderus with indirect tank. the cost being anywhere from 6 k to 8k. What i your opinion would be the best way to go. I am a little bit leery as to rebuild the present boiler as it would probably need a motor, igniter, fire wall. packing, oil pump, impeller, aquastat, prv, t&p in fact all valves and control. Need to take a decision fast so any information is appreciated
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    I'd

be inclined to replace a 26 year old boiler that needs extensive work.The state of the art in oil-fired boilers,barring condensing boilers,is the triple pass boiler with an indirect and some type of reset control and that is what I would suggest.Buderus makes only triple pass oil boilers,while Weil and Peerless offer triple pass as well as the old school single pass models you mentioned.
    There are a few condensing oil boilers available and there is a $1500 tax credit on them until 12/31/10.
  • steve_196
    steve_196 Member Posts: 33

Just want to jump in and say that it would be just wrong to try and rebuild a twenty five year old boiler.I knew a lady who thought she needed to detail her new car after water over top of the seats here due to the 100 year flood. Thankfully the detail kid caught it and she was surprised to hear from the insurance company that they would cover the whole thing. Important to know what you are looking at. Your list of items that will need to be replaced is almost complete but let me also mention that there is insulation on the inside of the jacket panels that will never be the same and could be a source of mold/mildew. Do not think this over too long and hard. Just realize that it is really time to install newer equipment. You might also want to remember UTICA BOILERS.
  • KevinCorr
    KevinCorr Member Posts: 106

I agree with steve here. There are no Utica here in my area so I am not familiar. I see they have some of the new technology like condensing and modulating but was surprised to see the obsolete tankless coils advocated. See: http://www.comfort-calc.net/Domestic_Hot_Water _Coil.html

I still like System 2000 after 25 years in my house!
This discussion has been closed.