Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermal Imaging

Jean-David Beyer
Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
I am impressed.

Could you find leaks that way? I.e., would the image be sharp enough for that?

Comments

• Mitch S._2
    Mitch S._2 Member Posts: 15
    Wow!

We needed to cut into a slab with radiant heat. Local Fire Dept. loaned their thermal imaging camera to locate the tubing. We had the heat on for about 30 minutes and could "see" every tube perfectly. Cut the slab up and it was exactly as shown by the camera. Anyone use these before?
  • bobbyg_17
    bobbyg_17 Member Posts: 9

yep, they've been used before and yep they can find leaks.

The old methods of finding a leak "as described in Dan's book" is to mop the floor and where it dries first is the warmest (where the leak is, you get more volume - delivery of heat). Another method is to look around for a housecat, they will have a "favorite" spot.haha funny but true.
  • Mitch S._2
    Mitch S._2 Member Posts: 15
    Yes

My only experience is this one time. They tell me it works great for leaks also. The one we used costs around 10K.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

I LIKE THE PUSSYCAT METHOD BEST.
  • hydronx_3
    hydronx_3 Member Posts: 35
    pic

this was a picture of gypcrete under hardwood. you can hold you finger on the floor for a bit and then use that hot spot to get an accurate reference to where the pipes are.
  • Radiator Ranger
    Radiator Ranger Member Posts: 81
    Thermal Images

Hi -

There are remote temperature sensors that you can aim at a single point to determine temps. - not as pretty as the thermal images but less expensive.

Winter '09 I took a class called Construction Engineering Management - Project Risk Assessment. We had to pick a project to focus on and I chose (due to conversations on The Wall) to create project outlines and general budgets for 2 projects:

1) Digging up the existing distribution piping in the Community Village which serves about 45 structures and redesigning, repairing, re-insulating that aspect of the system.

2) Install a new line, in the Community Village in a new location and inside a concrete chase with other utilities.

There are differing opinions about the best approach. The conclusion for now is to work on other projects.

A recommendation that arose from that school project was to conduct a thermal imaging survey of the facility including electrical components, distribution piping and building envelopes. We hired someone that owns thermal imaging camera and took pictures till the day warmed up. The outdoor temp. was around 29.8ºF.

Attached are some of the images from that survey. The facility is heated geothermally, distribution piping is underground, most buildings have cast iron radiators.

1. Hydronic Floor (Bldg. in next 2 pictures).
    2. Ext. Wall of Metal Shop - 4" spray foam insulation 1/2 plywood on walls.
    3. Ceiling of bldg. with hydronic floor (pictured above).
    4. Exterior of 1930's balloon frame building with blown in cellulose.
    5. A leak where CPVC and copper met.
    6. A shot of 1/2" branch piping from distribution piping to a cabin.
    7. Radiators
    8. Leak

We took the images months ago but school was consuming and I didn't get to studying and organizing the images until just recently. I think this is a good sampling of what was revealed.

So glad for this forum!

Warmly,
    Gwen Healy - Radiator Ranger

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JJ_4
    JJ_4 Member Posts: 146
    Leaks

We pinpointed a leak in a snowmelt system...the leak looked like a delta coming off the pipe. The company that does our infrared for electrical panels did the scan...cost us $500. Pretty good for 15 minutes of work.
This discussion has been closed.