Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Over Head Natural Gas Radiant vs 95% Warm Air Shop Heating

Options
as so many shops are, I wouldn't use either. It's too easy for overhead gas-fired radiant to ignite dust, and dust will constantly clog filters in a furnasty.

If in-floor isn't an option, maybe some pipe-coil radiation would work. Fin-tube would be a second choice because dust would clog it. But at least it would be down low enough that it could be cleaned easily.

Your boiler would need to draw its combustion air from outside to keep dust away from the firing zone.

"Steamhead

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Dan_32
    Dan_32 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Over Head Natural Gas Radiant vs 95% Warm Air Shop Heating

Does anyone have any pass experience or comments associated with the operational cost for heating a 4000 sq ft 18ft high shop in the northeast comparing low intensity overhead radiant unit(s) without setback, to 95% efficient variable speed warm air furnance(s) with night setback and ceiling fans. The fuel for both systems is natural gas. No zoning. Same given heat loss. Thanks for your comments in advance. Dan
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,763
    Options
    Totally different animals. Radiant is only heating surface areas

below where air is having to heat the entire volume. My experience is it would be much more efficient to heat w/ radiant tube heaters and just heat the work areas over the whole volume. Good luck, Tim
  • John Mills_4
    John Mills_4 Member Posts: 43
    Options
    outside air

A 95% furnace and most tube heaters can use outside air for combustion too.

Tube heaters are amazing. A little 60K input model heats our warehouse even below zero and recovers rapidly after the boys have the overhead open loading up in the morning. I'd guess we would have needed at least 150K unit heater. Our supplier had a program from the manufacturer, Omega, that did the heat loss and modeled savings.
This discussion has been closed.